This cache is sited within the Parish of Clutton.
The Hunters Rest Inn was originally built around 1750 as a
hunting lodge for The Earl of Warwick.
The Earl picked his site perfectly, set in beautiful countryside
high on Clutton Hill with commanding views over the Cam Valley to
the Mendip Hills, and over The Chew Valley to the port of
Bristol.
In 1892 The Earl sold his vast estate in Somerset, the former
lodge became a smallholding and tavern supplying refreshment to the
growing coal mining community.
On Saturday nights when the men of Fry Bottom were paid, beer
was put on the wall of the Hunters Rest in bath tubs for men to dip
their own mugs. It was only 1 1/2d a pint.

Hunters Rest as presented in the Auction Brochure for the
Earl Of Warwicks Estate

Old map from the auction brochure with plot number