About Newark Northgate Station
Newark North Gate station is a railway station serving the town of Newark-on-Trent, in Nottinghamshire, England. It is situated on the East Coast Main Line 120 miles(193 kilometres) north of London Kings Cross, between Grantham and Retford.
Newark-on-Trent is a fairly small market town, 25 miles (40 km) east of the City of Nottingham. Newark has another station: Newark Castle, operated by East Midlands Trains and located nearer the town centre. It links Newark to Nottingham, Lincoln and other cities in central England.
The station is on the Great Northern Railway Towns Line from Peterborough to Doncaster which opened in August 1852, the easier to construct Fens Loop Line via Boston and Lincoln had opened two years earlier.
The station became a junction in 1879 with the opening of the GNR branch to Bottesford, built as a northern extension of the Great Northern and London and North Western Joint Railway which opened at the same time. Services from Newark were provided to Northampton or Leicester and also to Nottingham. Services onto the joint line from Newark were withdrawn by 1922. The line was much used for through goods, especially between Newark and Northampton. The joint line closed in 1962 except for isolated fragments, but the Newark to Bottesford Junction section survived until 1988.
The short connection to the Newark Castle to Lincoln Central line was opened in 1965 by British Rail to maintain a link between the ECML and Lincoln following the closure of the branch from the latter to Grantham. This remains in use today by trains to Lincoln and Grimsby.
There is significant ambiguity about the correct form of the station's name. Different station name signs on the platforms say "Newark North Gate" or "Newark Northgate". On exiting the station, the old British Rail sign says just "Northgate" and road signs towards the station say 'Northgate'
You are looking for a nano cache located on a public path heading south from the station.
CONGRATS TO Bat Fink FOR BEING FTF!