Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Botley station was opened in 1841 by the LSWR. Botley was once the junction for the Bishops Waltham branch which was opened in 1863 and finally closed to freight in 1962. Some of the track from the branch still exists as a long siding, used by Foster Yeoman which operate an aggregate railhead depot and coated roadstone plant at Botley.
The station was a major loading point for strawberry traffic until about 1940, with trains taking the local produce up to London. The station possessed an extensive network of sidings and loading bays for this seasonal traffic and for storing the special ventilated vans that transported the fruit. The goods yard is now occupied by the Foster Yeoman stone plant. All traffic declined from 1950 onwards, but passenger began to build again in the 1990s with the re-introduction of direct services to London for the first time since before the war. The line was electrified, on the 3rd rail system, in the 1990s.
The cache is a very small lock'n'lock box containing a pencil and logbook only. There is room for average sized trackables. Be warned that it is on a busy main road, but easy to find. A good 'numbers' cache. Please do not visit for the scenery.
* * * * FTF - WilkinsWanderers * * * *
* * * * * Their first ever FTF * * * * *
* * * * * * Congratulations * * * * * *