
To Lieut General
Lord Frederick Fitzclarence G.C.H.
This column was erected
By the inhabitants of Portsmouth
To mark their sense
Of the many services rendered
To the Borough
During his command of this garrison
1852.
History
Frederick FitzClarence was the third (illegitimate) son of
King
William IV and his mistress Dorothea Jordan. He was born 9
December
1799 and died on 30 October 1854. Between 1847 and 1851 he
was
Lieutenant-Governor of Portsmouth.
Clarence Esplanade is named after him and was opened on 10
August
1848 during the Royal Portsmouth Regatta, attended by Queen
Victoria. It's construction had been proposed by Mr E. Emanuel
and
seconded by the Mayor Benjamin Bramble in November 1847. Work
began
the following year when the War Department gave the necessary
land
free of charge, the Treasury committed £300 and a public
subscription was opened. William Gates reports in his 'Records
of
the Corporation' that "The work was considerable cheapened
because,
through the good offices of the Lieutenant Governor, Lord
Frederick
Fitzclarence, and the zealous efforts of Alderman E. Emanuel,
convict labour was employed in it's construction, and thousands
of
tons of mud and shingle were brought from the Dockyard steam
basin
at that time under construction".
Before giving up his command as Lieutenant Governor, Lord
Frederick
wanted to present the people of Portsmouth with a gift of two
statues, one of Lord Nelson and the other of the Duke of
Wellington
since both had sailed from Portsmouth to their greatest
victories.
The statues were unveiled on June 18th 1850 which was followed by
a
public dinner to the Lieutenant Governor.
The departure of Lord Frederick from his position as
Lieutenant
Governor called forth an expression of gratitude from the
Town
Council for his unceasing interest in the welfare and
convenience
of the inhabitants, his co-operation with the Civil Authorities
and
the improvements carried out to the Southsea Common area under
his
auspices.
You are looking for a 35mm canister that contains a log book
and
small pencil.
The Cache itself is NOT on the monument but close by
Please place back as you found it to avoid muggling.