Circa 1795. The building was the home of the superintendent the toe Railey Coal pits. The pits are first mentioned in history in the 1790's.
1802 - 1808
Railey's pits worked:
a. 1802, Elizabeth Railey receives $8/m. bushel on coal raised. (The First Century and a Quarter of American Coal Industry by Howard N. Eavenson, page 66. Pittsburgh: 1942.)
b. 1803, Martin Railey states value of land as rents on 1/2 to 3/4 acre are $3,000/year. (The First Century and a Quarter of American Coal Industry by Howard N. Eavenson, page 63. Pittsburgh: 1942.)
c. 1803 - 1808, Elizabeth Railey receives higher royalty of $.01/bushel or $.25/net ton. (The First Century and a Quarter of American Coal Industry by Howard N. Eavenson, page 66. Pittsburgh: 1942.)
5/06/1811
Raileys make lease to Harry Heth of 103 acre "Railey's Coalpits" for 5 years from 1/1/1814 when previous agreement to Nicholson & Heth would expire (The First Century and a Quarter of American Coal Industry by Howard N. Eavenson, page 69. Pittsburgh: 1942.):
a. Royalty: $.02/bushel, $.50/net ton
b. Heth must keep books of account of coal shipped.
c. Work 25-30 able bodied laborers, exclusive of machine boys and mechanics.
d. Never employ more than 80 laborers.
e. Could search for new bodies of coal and sink shafts for them.
183012/1840
Woodridge's and Railey's (property of Nicholas Mills) old pits, unwrought and exhausted, are abandoned. (The First Century and a Quarter of American Coal Industry by Howard N. Eavenson, page 108. Pittsburgh: 1942.)
The house became the home of the superintendant of the Mid-Lothian mines
1865- Railey Hill House was an intimate observer to Civil War action as well, as it became "home" to a contingent of 100 Federal troops in 1865 following the fall of Richmond.
Mines.
