Skip to Content

Traditional Geocache

Arnside Tower

A cache by Pareto7 Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 5/21/2011
In Northwest England, United Kingdom
1.5 out of 5
2 out of 5

Size: Size: small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!


How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

An easy walk from Holgates caravan park to a local ruined tower. The area can be quite busy so please take care not to be seen retrieving the cache. Please re-hide the cache as found and ensure it cannot be seen.

Note - the cache is NOT hidden within the ruins of the tower.

Arnside Tower

Situated about a mile and a half outside of Arnside, and to the South East of Arnside Knott, Arnside tower is a spectacular and almost unique example of a Cumbrian pele tower. The oldest building in the parish, the tower was built in the late 14 or early 15th century, and was a free standing tower (most pele tower s had outbuildings or were attached to a house or hall of some sort ) The tower would originally have been four and five storeys tall, however due to systematic dismantling and weathering and age, it is now both roofless and floorless. The tower was severely burned in 1602, probably through a domestic fire rather than as the result of an attack, but was repaired and then occupied. Between 1684 and 1690, the dismantling occurred, with building materials being removed to Beetham and Knowsley. In 1884, the now already ruinous tower was subjected to a particularly severe storm, which resulted in the destruction of most of the south west angle of the cross wall, with the South wall also being damaged. The tower is now virtually split in two, with one portion containing the four storeys with domestic rooms, and the other portion containing the five storeys with the garde-robe and the taller part of the tower.
Most of the windows have had the decorative surrounds removed over the years, and are now no more than gaps in the masonry. The same can be said of all the doorways. Some of the parapet still remains on the north west wall and on the summit of the tallest part of the tower. The turret staircase is still largely intact, although the interior of the tower is in such a state that it’s not recommended that the ruins be entered.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Oruvaq gur gerr pybfrfg gb gur jnyy.

Decryption Key


(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



263 Logged Visits

Found it 253     Write note 5     Publish Listing 1     Needs Maintenance 1     Owner Maintenance 3     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 44 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 11/15/2017 3:27:29 PM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (11:27 PM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page