How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A family friendly cache a shortish walk from a carpark
In their heyday the quarries at Foggintor, Sweltor and Merrivale supported many families who’s children obviously needed schooling, but it wasn’t until 1915 that a purpose built school was built for them. The school building was spacious, with a wood block floor and central heating, the pipes of which were used to warm the children’s pasties. In the garden there were bees, poultry, a goat and rabbits. The tree (which can still be seen) was planted by Ivan, the son of the head teacher, Mr Fred Stoyle, who was the youngest head teacher in the country. Sadly as the quarries were closed and the quarrymen moved away it suffered what many village schools do today, falling pupil numbers making it uneconomical to run and therefore it closed in 1936. The building became a private dwelling and was renamed “Four Winds”.
In 1962 the Dartmoor National Park Planning Authority described Four Winds as “a major disfigurement to be removed”. It was demolished in 1964 by 10 teenagers from Northbrook Approved School.
The site is now a car-park, from where many good walks begin, and also the starting point for some DNP walks.
Haqre ebpx ol tbefr ohfu