Skip to content

7 ~ Reynolds Way Circular Walk - REVISITED Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

NevilleDog_n_Humans: unable to maintain

More
Hidden : 6/9/2011
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size:   other (other)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Reynolds Way

A circular walk with 20 geocaches - once you have worked out where some are!

Although this walk contains 20 geocaches there are many others just of the intended route.

The walk is along country lanes and some busier roads, public footpaths and bridleways.

This area was of critical importance during the Industrial Revolution.

 

Richard Reynolds

Born in Bristol and a member of its Quaker community, Richard Reynolds came to Coalbrookdale in 1756 to represent the interests of Thomas Goldney.  He was appointed manager of the Horsehay Ironworks, and in 1757 he married Hannah Darby, daughter of Abraham Darby II.  When Abraham Darby II died in 1763, Richard took over the management of the company and moved into Dale House.  During his time as manager he encouraged successful experiments with a method of making wrought iron using coal as fuel rather instead of charcoal.  In 1768 he handed over the management of the works to Abraham Darby III.

 

Points of Interest

The image above highlights some key areas on the walk:

1. Bank House - This is a typical Georgian house built in brick with stone dressings.  It retains some of its tall sash windows with their fine glazing bars.  The house, now divided into separate units, was a former residence of William Reynolds.

2. St Mary's Church - Although this church has medieval features, note the Norman style bell tower, it was built in 1838 and provides a fine example of Gothic revival in Victorian architecture.

3. Former Squatters Cottage - Squatters originally built cottages here at the end of the C18: only the better ones have survived.

4. Quarry Lane - Here limestone was quarried for use in the local foundries.

5. Paddock Mount - This mound was formed from the spoil of two pits.  From the top there are fine views across 180° from the Wrekin in the west across north Telford to Lilleshall in the east.  The path here is of a steep gradient and the steps down are also very steep. There is an alternative route that less able walkers may choose to take.

6. Ketley Hall - C18 brick house with late C18 early C19 wings. Joshua Reynolds, son of Richard, lived here probably after 1793.

7. Railway Station Site - The old railway is now part of the Ironbridge Way footpath, alongside the former site of the platform of Ketley station, there remains some trackway.

8. Roman Road - Watling Street Halfway down, in the left bank is the blocked off entrance to a tunnel, once used to transport sand from Ketley sand quarries, beneath the road, to the Sinclair Ironworks (once part owned by Richard Reynolds).  At the bottom of this road is Ketley Brook and Ketley Sands.

9. Parkers Pool - Water from here was once used in the iron making process and as a topping pool for Ketley canal.

10. Newdale Tramway Bridge - This is a grade ll listed building and it carried a plate railway that was used for transporting materials to and from nearby foundries and mines.  Here Reynolds built houses, a school and chapel for his employees in the village of Newdale.  Nothing of the site now remains except the bridge and cast iron columns, which have been excavated and are stored at Blists Hill Victorian Town.

11. Methodist Chapel - A chapel, dating from the late C19, that is still in full use.

12. Weigh Bridge - These are the remains of the weigh bridge office.

13 Squatters Cottages - These are good examples of squatter's cottages that date from the late C18.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

ZCG

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)