How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Part of the Side-Tracked series of caches - a worldwide series of caches close to railway stations.
Llanharan station originally opened in September 1899 as part of the Great Western Railway and served the village well until the Beeching Axe fell at the end of October 1964. The station and buildings were demolished almost immediately and barely a trace remained by December of that year.
In addition to passenger and goods services, the station also server the large attached C.W.S. Creamery which opened in the village in 1932. Within two years of opening, the dairy plant employed fifty people. The dairy itself closed in 1969.
It wasn't for another 38 years, following campaigning by local residents, that Llanharan finally had a station once more. Funded in part by the South East Wales Transport Alliance, it opened in December 2007.
Part of the South Wales Main Line, the station (constructed at a cost of £43m) provides excellent links to Cardiff and the rail network as a whole.
Onto the cache itself...
There is ample parking at the station itself for those not travelling by train. There is wheelchair access to the pathway on which the cache itself can be found from the carpark.
You are looking for a rather small klick-lock box with space only for small swaps.
The cache is not on railway property although is close to the (well fenced off) line itself...
Congratulations to BRANDANE for being the FTF!! :-)
Qbja ybj - Ehfgl Envyjnl Erzanag Envyvat