Griesbach Siding (1929 -
c1972)
The Willingdon C.P.R. Subdivision was
constructed in three stages. It open for service from Llyodminster
to Clandonald in 1927, Clandonald to Willingdon in 1928 and
Willingdon to Gaines in 1929. The last stage brought rail to
Griesbach on August 18,1929. Originally the siding was named
Yorkville but later named Griesbach after Major-General William A.
Griesbach.
There was provision for six elevator
companies and a loading platform. A standard 32,000 bushel elevator
was completed and ready for bussiness on November 29, 1928, nearly
10 months before the first train arrived.
The United Grain Growers grain elevator
(1929) was sold to the Federal Grain Company in 1940 and in 1972
was purchased by the Alberta Wheat Pool.
The Saskatchewan Elevator Company Limited
(1929) was purchased by the Alberta Wheat Pool. In 1934, it was
dismantled and moved to Breton. It had a 30,000 bushel capacity,
and handled 195,200 bushels of grain during its four years of
operation.
The Gillespie Grain Company grain elevator
(1930-1942) was torn down in 1942.
The Pioneer Grain Company grain elevator
(1931) was sold to the Federal Grain Company in 1942. In 1972, it
was purchased by the Alberta Wheat Pool.
From the plaque you can see the
elevator agent's house, which was moved to this
location.