Partridge Hill United
Church (1903 - present)
The Partridge Hill School, which opened in
January 1894, was used for church services by the Anglican,
Methodist and Presbyterian congregations.
In 1901, the Presbyterian congregation
decided to build a church, with a Home Mission grant of $300 plus
funds raised by the Local Ladies Aid. The first service was held on
Sunday, May 17, 1903. The church was used jointly by the
Presbyterians and the Methodists until Church Union in 1925 when it
was renamed the Partridge Hill United Church.
In 1926, a basement was added and in 1953,
the addition of a tower and vestibule. Fire broke out April 25,
1954, but due to the strenuous efforts of a hastily-organized
bucket brigade the church was saved.
The Partridge Hill School (located northeast
of the church) was replaced in 1913 with a brick building. It
remained in use until 1956 when it was sold and transformed into a
private residence.
In 1960, the original Partridge Hill
School bell was purchased for one dollar and installed in the
church tower.