Josephberg United Church
of Christ (1901 - present)
In 1894, a group of German speaking emigrants
from the Austrian villages of Brigidau and Josephberg settled in
the East Edmonton area. Church services at first were held in the
schoolhouse. Since the people in the area had belonged to three
different denominations, attempts at unification were difficult. In
a meeting held early in 1901, the majority of the settlers agreed a
united congregation would be beneficial. They named themselves the
Peace Congregation.
The congregation soon made the decision to
build a church on land donated by Jacob Thomas. Valentine Gauf was
the chief carpenter, assisted by Adam Berg. Mr. Gauf also built the
pews and constructed a handcrafted baptismal font.
In 1910, as the congregation grew, a much
larger building was required and constructed. In 1923, the church
was incorporated and renamed as the Reformed Church. By 1934, they
united with another group and became the Evangelical and Reformed
Church. Further improvements occurred marking the 25th, 50th, and
75th anniversaries of the church. In 1957, the Evangelical and
Reformed Church and the Congregational Christian Church united to
become The United Church of Christ, the named still used
today.
During renovations in 1951, it was determined
the original baptismal font should be donated to the City of
Edmonton Museum Society. The font, which was later donated to the
Strathcona County Museum and Archives in 2000, can be viewed in the
museum today.