How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Small tin, should provide room/safety for small trackables & geocoins. Please note the terrain and plan accordingly. And please be careful/respectful of any vegetation you may encounter!! Lastly, (as always), keep an eye all around for folks of the non-caching variety.
Searching for this cache will bring you to Fort Tryon Park. A great oasis in the northern end of Manhattan that has a large degree of topological character (i.e., it is really hilly). Plus a healthy dose of history (e.g., a famous battle during the Revolutionary War took place here on 11/16/1776). Unfortunately, the British won that round....
Some other notable features:
- Fantastic views near GZ of the nearby Bronx and Harlem River (not to mention the NE tip of Manhattan). Plus, it is a short walk to some great views looking west towards the Hudson and Palisades.
- The Cloisters are (is?) nearby, in case you get a hankering for unicorn tapestries.
- Cafe/restaurant very closeby, to which the Mrs and I still have not been to (as its a bit on the pricey side).
- Odd statue nearby to the SW, which seems like it came from the Soviet Union circa 1970. Also, there is a large stone 'gazebo' in that direction.
- Dog run nearby just to the west, so if you have a geopup, bring it along!
- Make sure to check out the other caches nearby if you haven't already (there are some great ones in the park).
- In the fall, believe it or not, Manhattan has a (one day) Renaissance Festival! So come by and grab a turkey leg (or tofu cutie if that is more up your alley). Huzzah!
NOTE: The hint is a bit on the 'lite' side, at least initially. This may provide an extra degree (to the slightest extent) of challenge up front. As such, the successful initial hunter/huntress will be rewarded with their very own trackable 'FTF' geocoin. Good luck!
[08.27.11 Congrats to ruthny for the early AM FTF. If I am not mistaken, she scored two Manhattan FTFs in one day! Well done!!]
Jurer zvtug gurer or n tbbq uvqrl ubyr nebhaq urer....
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum