At a time when engineers typically used riveted steel trusses for medium-span river crossings, Clayton County contracted F.E, Marsh and Company to build this concrete open spandrel arch bridge at a cost of $17,454. The tall, steep-sided location was perfect for this type of bridge. During the 1920s only a few of these had been built in Iowa, but the Mederville bridge was the first in 1918. It was used daily until 1995 when a new bridge nearby took its place. In 1998, the bridge was added to the National Register of Historical Places.
Driving directions: From highway 13 turn southeast onto seal-coated Emblem Rd. When you finally arrive at the small town of Mederville, turn left onto Eclipse Rd. for a couple blocks to the Mederville canoe access. (See additional coordinates for recommended parking.)
The cache: The cache is a regular-sized lock’n’lock type container with a logbook, pencil, and starts with a few nice trade items. Please sign the log, trade fairly, and return the cache to its original location and state of concealment for others to enjoy.