The Victoria Lines are a series of fortifications spanning across approximately 12 kilometres. They were built by the British Armed Forces in Malta between 1870 and 1899 and consist of four principal forts, a number of other gun batteries and a continuous infantry line which connects them together to form a single line of defence cutting across Malta from coast to coast, from Kuncizzjoni/Fomm ir-Rih bay in the west to Madliena/Bahar ic-Caghaq in the east.
It was decided to build these fortifications along a natural barrier known as the Great Fault which cuts across Malta. When work began, the structure was known as the ‘North West Front’. In 1897, Queen Victoria celebrated her diamond jubilee so, to mark the occasion, the whole length of the fortifications were named after the queen and so became known as The Victoria Lines.
The Victoria Lines were never tested in war. Nevertheless, they still provide a very interesting insight into the development of fortifications and form an intrinsic part of Malta’s historical heritage.
- The Victoria Lines edited by Ray Cachia Zammit
This section of the Victoria Lines, known as the Dwejra Lines, is the site of Bingemma Gap. On the road leading down to Our Lady of Itria Chapel a milestone can be seen on the left side of the road, noticeable because it is missing the markings which were chipped away during WWII to prevent their use by the enemy in the event of an invasion.
Parking for this cache can be found at the Chapel (N35º 54.200, E14º 22.646) and the path entrance is near the aforementioned milestone, at the site of Bingemma Gap (N35º 54.169, E14º 22.699).
Note: Area can become full of muggles in the summer at weekends.
Small note on cache maintenance: Exevale has offered to assist. Thanks!