This cache has been placed for the
CCARF11 event, held October 22-October 23, 2011. The cache should
not be located prior to 12-noon, Saturday, October 22, 2011. The
caches for the CAR event are released early so that the geocaching
community has an opportunity to plan their routes prior to the
event start.
The Deane House was built in 1906 for the then Superintendent of
Fort Calgary, Captain Richard Deane. The Captain felt that the
quarters used by the previous Superintendent were not good enough
for his wife Martha. (Martha Deane never lived in the house. She
passed away before she could join her husband in Calgary)
A budget of $5000.00 was set, the plan was obtained and
construction began in August using prisoners from the guardhouse to
excavate the basement. Due to a carpenters' wages settlement, an
increase from .45 to .55 per hour, the final price of the house was
$6200.00. In his memoirs, Deane wrote about his new home,
"certainly the best house in Mounted Police occupancy at that
date."
The house was originally built near the corner of 9th Avenue and
6th Street SE facing east towards the Barracks and parade square.
Deane, an enthusiastic gardener, was responsible for the much
admired lawns and gardens surrounding the house.
In 1914 the Fort Calgary site was purchased by the Grand Trunk
Pacific Railway for use as a rail terminal and the house was moved
to the southeast corner , near the site of the present day
Interpretive Centre, for occupation by the station agent.
The house was purchased by C.L. Jacques in 1929 and moved again,
across the Elbow River to a new foundation on its present site. It
was pulled across the river on skids with the use of temporary
pilings and a steam tractor, a feat so remarkable it was written up
in an issue of 1930 Popular Mechanics. The house was put to use as
a boarding and rooming house and was commonly known as Gaspe Lodge
until 1973.
The City of Calgary purchased the house in 1973 and for several
years housed the Dandelion Gallery, an artists and authors co-op
and studio.
The R.C.M.P. Veterans Association restored and enclosed the
verandah as part of their Centennial Celebration in 1974.
The Deane House, possibly the only remaining building from the
Fort Calgary site still intact, was designated a Registered
Historic Resource in 1978. It was vacated by the Dandelion Gallery
in September 1979.
HAPPY HUNTING :D
SPECIAL THANKS TO TAFC
FOR DESIGNING THIS CACHE FOR US