Church Micro 2196... Thurning
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A 60ml pot
•The church of St James consists of a chancel, north chapel - formerly the vestry, north vestry - formerly a chapel at the end of the aisle, nave, north aisle, south aisle, west turret and south porch. The walls are of coursed rubble with stone dressings, and the roofs are covered with lead.
•The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 but, by the middle of the 12th century, there was a stone church consisting of a chancel with an aisle-less nave, the latter being about the same size as the present. About 1190, a north aisle was added and somewhat early in the 13th century, the nave and aisle was lengthened one bay to the west. in about 1300, the south aisle was added; probably the arcade and the aisle walls are all of the same date, although there is a strange mixture of details - probably due to the employment of an aged mason. Possibly the north aisle was rebuilt a little later, and later still (around 1340) the chancel was rebuilt. Considerable alterations were made in the 15th century; the western bay of the nave was taken down and a new west wall, with a bell-turrett and spirelet above it, was built. Some extensive alterations took place in 1850.
•In 1880-81, the north aisle and vestry, the clearstory, the west wall of the nave, and the west wall of the south aisle were taken down and rebuilt with old materials, and the rest of the church was restored. The chancel was restored again in 1902, when the vestry and north chapel were altered and rearranged.
“If anybody would like to expand to this series please do, I would just ask that you could let Sadexploration know first so he can keep track of the Church numbers and names to avoid duplication.
There is also a Church Micro Stats page found via the Bookmark list”
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum