Skip to content

<

La Vierge de Refuge

A cache by leguili Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 01/27/2012
Difficulty:
3 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

ATTENTION Zone de chasse le samedi.

La Vierge du Refuge

France

Cet édifice du culte construit en bordure du chemin contournant le mont Saint-Michel dominait la plaine est de la Moselle et le faubourg Saint-Mansuy. On y accédait, depuis la ville, par un petit chemin de terre traversant voici très longtemps, les vignes plantées sur le mont, remplacées, ensuite, par des jardins et des vergers il longeait une grande sapinière qui annonçait la proximité de la chapelle où régnait un calme absolu. C'était un itinéraire de promenade dominicale pour de nombreux de Toulois.

 Cette chapelle était le refuge des vignerons lors des pluies ou des orages et un lieu de rencontre autour de la source fraîche où ils plaçaient leur boisson.

Tous les ans, un pèlerinage y conduisait des fidèles.

Elle fut construite bien avant 1636 comme l'atteste une plaque de pierre qui était scellée dans un des murs.

 « CETTE CHAPELLE DEPUIS LONGTEMPS RUINEE ET ABATTUE,
A ETE REPAREE PAR M FRANCOIS CAHLIER, CHANTRE ET CHANOINE DE L'EGLISE DE TOUL ET VICAIRE GENERAL DE L'EVECHE,
EN L'HONNEUR DE NOTRE DAME DU REFUGE, 
LA GLORIEUSE MERE DE DIEU .
AFIN D'INVITER LES PASSANTS 
A VENIR IMPLORER SON SECOURS 
POUR LE PARDON DES PECHES ET LA PAIX DES CHRETIENS
1636
PRIEZ DIEU POUR LUI »

 C’était une petite construction de 5,50m X 4,50m, en maçonnerie de pierres brutes liées à la chaux, recouverte d’un toit en tuiles rouges tige de-botte posées sur une charpente apparente; on y accédait par trois hautes marches.
Deux petites fenêtres latérales, une porte basse complétaient cet ensemble.
A l’intérieur, dans le fond, face à la porte, une niche apparaissait où était installée la statue de la Vierge. Un petit autel rustique, en bois peint, était recouvert d’une nappe blanche remplacée régulièrement par une personne pieuse, devant l’autel, un prie dieu, sur les deux côtés, des ex-voto, accrochés aux murs, rappelaient aux promeneurs, les souhaits exaucés par la Vierge de Refuge.
Il y avait souvent des fleurs fraîches, des fleurs des champs tout proches, qu’une main délicate déposait sur l'autel.

Sans entretien pendant une très longue période, cette chapelle devait être en très mauvais état puisqu'un groupe de prisonniers italiens a procédé à sa restauration. Une plaque rappelle leur action généreuse par ces mots:

 « EN 1947, DES PRISONNIERS ITALIENS ONT REMIS EN ETAT
LA CHAPELLE DE LA VIERGE DU REFUGE »

 En 1973, c'est une équipe d'employés municipaux qui la remet en état sous la direction de M Jean Bondois ce qui permit, lors de l’Ascension l974, à l’archiprêtre Evanno, d’officier dans la chapelle restaurée.

 Depuis, les ans, les intempéries, le manque d’entretien et le vandalisme, ont eu raison de l’édifice qui est malheureusement, réduit à un tas de pierres. Laissée longtemps en place, la statue de la Vierge a miraculeusement été respectée, elle est maintenant, avec les plaque commémoratives, conservée en lieu sûr.

 Ainsi se termine une courte histoire par une triste fin d’une partie de notre patrimoine.

 EPILOGUE
En 1982 le bâtiment pouvait encore être sauvé.
En 1985 il n'en restait déjà plus rien. 

Tout juste subsiste-t-il un point sur les cartes et à proximité en souvenir de cet édifice...
" La  rue de la Vierge de Refuge"

Dans la boite vous trouverez un indice essentiel à l’ouverture du cryptex de la cache suivante : A l’assaut du mont Saint Michel (GC3ANDA).La solution en quatre lettres.


1973  2012
                       1973                                                                    2012

English (excuse me for the rough translation, google is my best friend)
The building of worship built at the curb round the Mont Saint-Michel dominated the plains east of the Moselle and the Faubourg Saint-Mansuy. It was reached from the city, a small dirt road through here a long time, the vines planted on the Mount, replaced then by gardens and orchards he skirted a large fir which announced the vicinity of the chapel where there was absolute calm. It was a Sunday walking route for many of Toul.
 
This chapel was the refuge of the winers when it rains or storms and a meeting place around the cool spring where they placed their drink.
Every year, it led a pilgrimage of the faithful.
It was built before 1636 as evidenced by a stone slab which was sealed in a wall.
 "This chapel long ruined and slaughtered, was repaired by M FRANCOIS CAHLIER, Chantre and canons of the church of Toul and Vicar General of the Diocese, in honor
OUR LADY OF REFUGE, the glorious Mother of God to invite passers-by to implore his help come for
forgiveness of sins and peace of christians
1636
PRAY GOD FOR HIM "
 It was a small building of 5.50 m X 4.50 m, rough stone masonry associated with lime, covered with a red tile roof truss-rod set on an exposed timbers, was reached by three steep steps .
Two small side windows, a low door completes the picture.
Inside, in the back, facing the door, appeared a niche where was installed the statue of the Virgin. A small rustic altar, painted wood, was covered with a white cloth regularly replaced by a pious person in front of the altar, pray to God, on both sides, votive offerings, the walls, reminding pedestrians, wishes fulfilled by the Virgin of Refuge.
Often there were fresh flowers, flowers of the fields nearby, a delicate hand placed on the altar.
Maintenance free for a very long time, the chapel was to be in very poor condition because a group of Italian prisoners undertook its restoration. A plaque commemorating their generous action with these words:
 
"In 1947, Italian prisoners have rehabilitated CHAPEL OF OUR LADY OF REFUGE"

 
In 1973, a team of city employees who rehabilitates under the direction of Jean M Bondois which allowed during Ascension l974, the archpriest Evanno, an officer in the restored chapel.
 
Since that year, the weather, lack of maintenance and vandalism, were right in the building which is unfortunately reduced to a heap of stones. Time left in place, the statue of the Virgin miraculously been met, it is now, with the commemorative plaque, stored in a safe place.
 
So ends a short story by a sad end to a part of our heritage.

 
EPILOGUE
In 1982 the building could still be saved.
In 1985 there remained no longer.
Just remain there a point on the cards and close the building in memory of ...
"The Street of Our Lady of Refuge" 
 

In the box you will find a vital clue to open the cryptex from the cache as follows: A l'assaut duMont Saint Michel (GC3ANDA). The solution in four letters.


PAT
Les geocacheurs lorrains

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

natyr fhq rkgrevrhe

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.