The Cambus Iron Bridge is a Category A listed building and a Scheduled Ancient Monument. It is a rare example within Scotland of a single span bridge of prefabricated lattice girder construction, 68 feet in length. It was built in the early 19thC to cross the River Devon to link with the distillery, founded in 1806 by John Moubray. The iron guide rails allowing a wheel gauge of four feet are still in evidence on the bridge, which was used by horse-drawn wagons and pedestrians.
The bridge was restored in 1997 with complete replacement of the timber decking. The Council took the opportunity to investigate and return the bridge to its historic colours, namely Venetian Red and Brunswick Green, these paints being specially prepared for the site. Unfortunately the colours hardly show any more due to a thick coating of the black mould which grows profusely in the vicinity of bonded warehouses, covering everything. It feeds on the alcohol evaporating from the whisky as it matures in the wooden barrels - "the angels' share".
Kingfishers nest in the bank near here & you may be lucky enough to see one, though a dipper, heron or swan is more likely. We have often seen treecreepers on the riverside trunks. Goosanders and red-breasted mergansers frequent the river downstream of the weir, where it is tidal, and can be seen from the path leading to Cambus Pools, a Scottish Wildlife Trust reserve.
There is parking nearby. The tarmac NCN76 now runs past the bridge to link with the disused railway towards Menstrie and also to the path over Tullibody Auld Brig.
* * * Well done to robertburns FTF * * *