The history of Reed goes back before there were any houses or other structures build here. During the heyday of the cattle trails heading north to Kanas, this area was chosen as place to nurse and fatten cattle that were not healthy enough to make the drive. Cattle hands would be left behind to tend these cattle.
When Old Greer County was settled a town sprang up just south of the Jay Buckle Ranch. A general store and mercantile, a church and a few homes were built. The post office opened September 16, 1892, and the town was named Reed after the first postmaster, John Reed Graham.
Many of the first residents were from Texas. Some of those were veterans of the Confederacy. The graves of three of these men can be found in Reed Cemetery just north town.
Ranching was the main industry in the area. Cotton and later wheat was also grown south of town. In the 1920’s a cotton gin was built in town. When railroads passed the town by it stop growing and slowly began to decline. The surrounding area is still dotted with old abandoned farm houses.
The town served as a center for all the farms in the area until the post office closed on June 4, 1988. Many of old building along with a handful of homes and the city park are still standing to this day.
Congratulation to 2Moore on the FTF.

Another Quality Clan Hide