When we set our Two a Day Challenge (GC3C421) we knew that it was a tough challenge that would be available to a very limited number of cachers.
To redress the balance, we have set this easy Challenge which should be available to almost every cacher. It was inspired in part by a cache by madaxeman that we found in Yorkshire - Local Cache for Local People (GCJE4A). We sneaked in under the noses of the locals to bag that one in 2009.
All you have to do to qualify to collect this cache is find AT LEAST TEN CACHES WITHIN A MILE OF YOUR HOME CO-ORDINATES.
The Groundspeak website states that it is considered "bad form" to log a find on your own cache, as you're not "finding" a cache because you already know where it is. This means that you must find ten caches within a mile of home which have been set by other cachers.
There is one particular case where your own cache will be accepted for the purpose of this Challenge. If you have been kind enough to organise or host an event at (or within a mile of) your home, we believe that you are entitled to log that you attended the event. Our view is that events are about being there and interacting with your fellow cachers - it would be perverse not to record that you were in attendance at an event that you organised/hosted.
The statistics page of your profile shows your total finds by distance from your Home Location - simply check the top line of the relevant chart to find if you qualify to collect this Challenge.
If the cost of petrol has been inhibiting your caching this Challenge could be just what you need! At the date of setting this Challenge, we have found 34 caches within a mile of Home.
As with all Challenges, there are just a few rules.
1. You must demonstrate that you have qualified to collect this cache. Ideally, you will have your Groundspeak statistics page displayed so that we can check the relevant chart. If you have chosen not to display your statistics, you should post a screen shot of the relevant chart or use some other means of verifying that you have completed the challenge. Caches found exactly one mile from your home will be accepted, if confirmed with a screenshot of your GSAK or similar statistics.
2. ALL past finds count, from any time in your caching career, including caches that have subsequently been archived. This means that some cachers will be immediately eligible!
3. All cache types count, including Events, Virtuals and Earthcaches, although there won’t be many cachers who have these cache types on their doorsteps!
4. It must be a Groundspeak cache.
5. Found logs that don't qualify will be deleted.
Once you have found the required number of caches you can claim a find at the given co-ordinates where you are looking for a small clip-lock box. When placed, it contained a logbook and a small pen, but it might be wise to bring your own pen/pencil.