A cache by [DELETED_USER]
Hidden
:
4/3/2012
-
Difficulty:
-
-
Terrain:
-
Size:
 (regular)
Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions
in our disclaimer.
Carlton's Raid...during the Revolution, the war came to this spot in November 1778. Read the monument and learn about life on the frontier.
1778 Carlton's Raid...
On November 8, 1778 Brisith Major Christopher Carleton's raid from Canada wiped out the Weybridge settlement. Cabins were burned, men taken to Canada, women and children were forced to hide in potato their cellars. Ten-year old Rob Sanford managed to walk barefoot 25 miles to Fort Vengence in Pittsford for help and brought back rescuers...
More of the Story
The most serious and extensive depredations on the inhabitants of the county were committed in the fall of 1778. In the early part of November a large British force came up the lake in several vessels and thoroughly scoured the country on both sides. Such of the settlers as had the temerity to remain on their farms until that time were taken prisoners, their property of every description was burned and destroyed, and their women and children left to take care of themselves as best they could, in their houseless and destitute condition. Not a town in the county, where any settlements had been made, escaped their ravages. The only building in Middlebury not wholly destroyed, except two or three in the southeast part of the town, which they seem not to have found, was a barn of Colonel John Chipman which had been lately built of green timber. This they could not set on fire, and tried in vain with their imperfect tools to cut down. You may see the actual door at the Sheldon Museum in Middlebury!
It is said that two hundred and forty-four captives were taken in the vicinity of the lake during that autumn, forty-four of whom were brought back in June, 1782, and exchanged as prisoners of war at Whitehall. Mention of many of these captures will be found in the chapters devoted to the history of the several towns.
In the years before the Revolution:
The pioneers first came in by way of Otter Creek, and pursued their labors toward clearing some land and making for themselves comfortable homes in peace and fancied security. But an enemy was at hand; and just as they were getting a few of the comforts of home and civilization about them the raid of Tories and Indians, in November, 1778, which was described above.
The British Raid was successfully made, and the little movable property of the settlers was carried away or destroyed, their rude dwellings burned, the men taken prisoners, and women and children left destitute. These defenseless creatures took refuge in an out-door cellar belonging to one of the burned houses, where they lived for ten days on a few potatoes left by the enemy, when they were discovered by some American soldiers and taken to Pittsford.
The Monument near the cache...
In 1856 a handsome marble monument was erected over the site of this cellar by some of their descendants. The following inscription upon its base tells the whole story:
The inscription is weathered and hard to read but the text is below...
" Weybridge was chartered by New Hampshire in 1761 settled in 1775 by Thomas Sanford, David Stow, Justus Sturdevant, and Claudius Britell. November 8, 1778, a party of British, Tories, and Indians destroyed their house and effects, and carried T. Sanford and son Robert, D Stow and son Clark, C. Britell and son Claudius, and J. Sturdevant prisoners to Quebec. Their wives and children, after occupying a cellar at this place ten days, were taken to Pittsford by our troops. D. Stow died in prison December 31 1778. T. Sanford escaped, and the others were discharged in 1782. Erected in 1856 by David, Milo, Jason and Miller Stow, John and Orange Britell, John Sturdevant, Ira Sanford and others."
The British took Thomas Sanford and his son Robert, Claudius Britell and son of same name, David Stow and his son Clark, and Justus Sturtevant, and carried them to Quebec. Mr. Stow died in prison December 31, 1778. Thomas Sanford succeeded in escaping, and after a long journey through Maine and New Hampshire joined his family. The other prisoners, after undergoing extreme hardships, were discharged in 1782. In the succeeding year these families began to feel a degree of security which impelled them to return to their ruined homes, and they were soon followed by others. Of the new-comers, Ebenezer Wright settled on the east side of Snake Mountain (then in the town of Addison), on the farm now occupied by his grandson, Edwin S. Wright; Ira S., a brother of Edwin, formerly occupied a part of the farm. Samuel Child came about the same time, and settled about three-fourths of a mile south of Ebenezer Wright, on the same street; the farm is now occupied by John A. Child, eldest grandson of Samuel. Edward Child is another grandson of Samuel, and lives in this town. Willis B., son of John A. Child, lives in the town and has a family. In 1793 David Belding came in and located at what is known as Belding's Falls, on Otter Creek, in the east part of the town; the farm is now occupied by Sylvia Drake and Polly A. Shaw, who are granddaughters of Belding and sisters of Colonel Isaac Drake. Besides these, there are in town as descendants of David Belding Mrs. John A. Child, a great-granddaughter; H. Emily Bowditch; Louisa B. Drake, daughter of Rev. Cyrus B. Drake, D. D., brother of Colonel Isaac; Delena D. Willard.
A full story can be read in Ida Washington's Book entitled “Carlton's Raid”
__________
Additional Hints
(Decrypt)
Gnxr 50 cnprf gbjneqf Pnzry'f Uhzc.