Church Micro 2709... Spaldwick
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
•The church of St. James consists of a chancel, south chapel, nave, south aisle, west tower and south porch. The walls of the tower are of coursed rubble; the rest of the church is built of stone and pebble rubble - all with stone dressings. The roofs are covered with slate and lead.
•The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, but there seems to have been an aisle-less stone church here by the end of the 12th century of which the north wall and small parts of the east wall remain. To this church a south aisle was added in about 1250. The chancel with the chancel arch were rebuilt in the early 14th century.
•The tower was commenced about the middle, and completed together with its spire before the end, of the 14th century. There seems to have been a cessation of work about half-way up the tower which may possibly have been caused by the effects of the Black Death in 1349. It may have been intended to rebuild the nave, for an access door to the roof was provided in the east wall of the tower; this idea was abandoned and, in about 1370, a clearstory was added to the existing wall. At about he same time, the porch was built.
•The south chapel was built around 1500, when the south aisle and porch were rebuilt. In the 17th century, two buttresses were built onto the north side of the nave; the window between them was altered, and the parapets of the nave were rebuilt.
A 35mm pot, watch out for nettles
“If anybody would like to expand to this series please do, I would just ask that you could let Sadexploration know first so he can keep track of the Church numbers and names to avoid duplication.
There is also a Church Micro Stats page found via the Bookmark list”
onfr bs jbbqra cbfg, orjner arggyrf