Skip to Content

<

Post Tenebras Lux

A cache by Carangue Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 5/1/2012
Difficulty:
4 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size: other (other)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Related Web Page

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Cache is not at the above posted coordinates

-

La cache n'est pas aux coordonnées postées au dessus

 


French:

 

Bien que les éléments qui composent les armoiries soient beaucoup plus anciens, leur combinaison sous sa forme définitive ne date que de l'an 1440 environ. Elles étaient, au moment de leur apparition, celles de la commune de Genève, qui s'était constituée peu à peu et vivait alors sous l'autorité de son prince, l'évêque. Cette subordination une fois rejetée, à la Réforme, elles devinrent celles de la Seigneurie et République de Genève; enfin, après les quinze ans d'annexion française, elles furent celles de la Ville et du Canton.

Les armoiries représentées ci-dessus ont une signification manifeste : elles combinent celles de l'Empire (soit le Saint Empire Romain Germanique), c'est-à-dire une aigle à deux têtes sur fond d'or, et celles de l'évêché, c'est-à-dire les clés de l'Eglise, sur fond rouge. En prenant la moitié des unes et la moitié des autres, on exprimait ce fait que Genève était, sous l'autorité temporelle de l'évêque, une principauté de l'Empire, dont elle relevait directement et sans aucun intermédiaire. Au début du XVe siècle, saint Bernardin de Sienne contribua puissamment à propager en Europe la dévotion au nom de Jésus.

En 1471, l'évêque de Genève ordonna de faire sculpter ce nom, sous sa forme abrégée IHS (à l'époque, le nom complet s'écrivait Jésus) sur les portes de la ville, de même que cela se voit encore en de nombreux endroits, notamment à Sienne. Ces trois lettres étaient entourées de rayons et de flammes, figurant ainsi un soleil. Après le départ de l'évêque, la ville devint république; pour sauvegarder son indépendance, et alors qu'elle passait à la Réforme, elle fit construire un nouveau système de fortification; trois nouvelles portes furent aménagées, et en 1542, le Conseil ordonna que, comme précédemment, on y plaçât les armoiries de la ville surmontées du même signe gravé dans la pierre.

Ce trigramme ayant été écrit plus tard en lettres grecques par l'autorité ecclésiastique dont dépendaient alors l'Académie et le Collège, le Conseil d'Etat arrêta définitivement, en 1918, que ce serait là désormais la seule forme officielle. Quant à la devise, elle apparaît à une date relativement tardive : en 1530, un sceau de la Commune portait les mots “Post tenebras spero lucem” (Après les ténèbres, j'espère la lumière), et probablement parce que les citoyens étaient alors au plus fort de leur lutte pour l'indépendance politique. Cette devise fut ensuite abrégée en “Post tene bras lucem”, puis “Post tene bras lux”, à quoi on attribua un sens spirituel, par allusion à la Réforme adoptée dans l'intervalle.

 

English:

 

Although the elements that make up the arms are much older, their combination in final form dates only from about the year 1440. They were, at the time of their appearance, those of the town of Geneva, which was formed gradually and was living under the authority of his prince, the bishop. This subordination once rejected, the Reformation, they became those of the Lordship and Republic of Geneva, and finally, after fifteen years of French annexation, they were those of the City and Township.

The coat of arms shown above have an obvious meaning: they combine those of the Empire (the Holy Roman Empire), that is to say, a two-headed eagle on a gold background, and those of the bishopric, that is to say the keys of the church, on a red background. Taking half of one and half the other, we expressed the fact that Geneva was under the temporal authority of the bishop, a principality of the Empire, to which it reported directly and without intermediaries. The early fifteenth century St. Bernardin of Siena contributed greatly to spread the devotion in Europe the name of Jesus.

In 1471, the Bishop of Geneva ordered to sculpt the name, abbreviated IHS (at the time, wrote the full name is Jesus) on the city gates, as it shows still to many areas, especially in Siena. These three letters were surrounded by rays and flames, and a sun set. After the departure of the bishop, the city became republic to safeguard its independence, and as it passed the Reformation, it built a new fortification system, three new doors were fitted, and in 1542, the Board ordered that, as before, there should place the arms of the city overcome the same sign written in stone.

This trigram was later written in Greek letters by the ecclesiastical authority depended then the Academy and College, the State Council finally stopped in 1918, now that would be the only official form. Regarding the currency, it appears to a relatively late: in 1530, a seal of the City bore the words "Post tenebras spero lucem" (After the darkness, I hope for the light), and probably because people were so at the height of their struggle for political independence. This motto was later shortened to "Post tene bras lucem" and "Post tene bras lux", which was attributed to a spiritual sense, in allusion to the Reformation adopted in the interim.

 

 

***     No spoiler please!   /   Pas de spoiler svp!    ***


 

- Congratulations / Félicitations à Pocoyotte, Blackrose76 et Fauxvoir pour le FTF ! et à à Marybeno&vlaben pour le FTS !

 

 


 

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[E] chmmyr: va fhoybpngvba / pnpur: hfr gur trbpurpxre!
[F] chmmyr: qnaf har nhger cnegvr / pnpur: hgvyvfrm yr trbpurpxre!

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

148 Logged Visits

Found it 125     Didn't find it 13     Write note 4     Temporarily Disable Listing 1     Enable Listing 1     Publish Listing 1     Owner Maintenance 3     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 18 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated:
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.