Rostral columns - Ростральные колонны
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Micro cache close to one of the most important points of interest in Saint Petersburg. Extreme stealth is required!!!
The Rostral Columns lit on the Victory Day
The Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange and Rostral Columns are significant examples of Greek Revival architecture. Designed by French architect Thomas de Thomon, and inspired by the Greek Temple of Hera at Paestum, the stock exchange was constructed between 1805 and 1810. The rostral columns erected on either side of the Stock Exchange were completed in 1811.
The Old Stock Exchange is sited to fill the majestic sweep of the Spit (in Russian Стрелка) of Vasilievsky Island, just opposite the Winter Palace. Thomon's design called for a peristyle of forty four Doric columns resting upon a massive stylobate of red granite and supporting an entablature of triglyphs and slotted metopes. A monumental sculptural group similar in form to a quadriga featuring Neptune, and symbolizing maritime commerce, is mounted above the portico. Both inside and outside the building, a motif of the semicircle is recurrent. The interior features a large colonnaded trading hall, now divided into eight exhibition halls. The central rooms are illuminated by an oblong skylight. The surrounding ceiling features double-sunk coffers.
Opposite the exchange building on the Neva, de Thomon designed a semicircular overlook with circular ramps descending to a jetty projecting into the river. This formal approach, is framed by two rostral columns centered on the portico of the Stock Exchange. The Doric columns sit on a granite plinth and are constructed of brick coated with a deep terracotta red stucco and decorated with bronze anchors and four pairs of bronze ship prows (rostra in Latin). Seated marble figures decorate the base of each column each representing the major rivers of Russia — the Volga and Dnepr at the northern column, Neva and Volkhov at the southern one. The Rostral Columns were originally intended to serve as beacons and originally were topped by a light in the form of a Greek brazier and lit by oil. In 1950s the braziers have been removed and the tops of the columns refitted with gas torches that continue to be lit on ceremonial occasions.
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum