Blyth is a village in the Bassetlaw district of the county of Nottinghamshire, in the East Midlands, north west of East Retford, on the River Ryton.The village is situated on the A1 at the southern end of the fifteen-mile A1(M) Doncaster bypass, which opened in 1961. The Blyth roundabout was replaced in March 2008 by a grade separated junction (junction 34). The Moto Blyth Services are also at this junction. The £320,000 (£5,490,000 as of 2012),[1]1½ mile A614 Blyth Bypass was built at the same time as the Nottinghamshire section of the Doncaster Bypass and opened in 1960. The A614 became the A1 when the Doncaster bypass opened. Also passing through the town is the A634 from Maltby to Barnby Moor. The dual-carriageway £964,000 (£13,370,000 as of 2012),[1] five-mile section of the A1 from Checker House (Ranby) to Blyth opened in August 1966. The former A614 road through the town is now the A634 and B6045. Also part of the parish of Blyth is Hodsock, to the south-west along the B6045, home of Hodsock Priory.Blyth Priory The priory church of St. Mary and St. Martin is one of the oldest examples of Norman architecture in the country. It was part of a Benedictine monastery founded in 1088. This priory was founded by Roger de Builli of Tickhill Castle, one of William the Conqueror's followers. The founder and later benefactors endowed Blyth with lands, money and churches. It was staffed at first by monks from the Mother House, Holy Trinity Priory at Rouen France. In 1286 Thomas Russel had to be returned to Rouen because of his intolerable conduct and also John de Belleville, as the climate did not suit him. There are other records of the unruly conduct of French monks. During a visitation of the priory in 1536 it was alleged that five of the monks were guilty of grave offences and it was surrendered. George Dalton, the Prior, received a pension of twenty marks, and this seems to have been the only pension awarded. The net annual income at the date of the surrender was £180. (£70,000 as of 2012),[1] After the Dissolution the east part of the church was demolished and a tower built at the west end of the nave. Blyth Hall Blyth Hall was built in 1684-85 at the eastern end of the church and was demolished in 1972. On the village green is the former Leper Hospital of St John the Evangelist, said to have been built by the Knights Hospitaller of St. John of Jerusalem. It was refounded in 1226, and was being used as a school in 1695.
A nice quick and easy drive-by with close by parking small cammo`d container no pen or cil so bring youre own,few swaps for kids !!ENJOY!!