This historic 6 arched sandstone bridge replaced a small wooden bridge built in 1847. In 1859 the six-arch stone bridge was built by Hugh Dalrymple for the Victorian Board of Land and Works. This major upgrade was largely the result of the goldrushes and, in its early years, would have been used extensively by Cobb & Co. It was retired in 1969 when a new bridge was built but its historical value was recognised and it has been preserved with a plaque to denote its significance.
The first Overland Mail from Melbourne to Sydney was established in 1839. The route it traversed was known as the Old Sydney Road which was also used by drovers and bullock wagons. It crossed Hughes Creek at a shallow, sandy ford which became a camping place for teamsters and, in 1849, the village of Avenel.

When Ned Was about 11 years old and living in Avenel, he rescued a young boy from drowning only 150m from the bridge. That boy was Richard Shelton, Ned pulled him to the creek bank and was rewarded for his bravery with the green sash that he later wore during the Glenrowan siege.
The cache is a 200m sistema container.
Enjoy......