Construction commenced on the first stage of the Paton’s building and Baldwins site in March 1922. Within eight weeks a large portion of foundation had been readied and much brickwork laid. Almost all of the project was undertaken by Launceston trades people.
The original stage was completed in July 1923. It covered four and a half acres with a floor space of over 18,500 metres.
The fist machines became operational in August of 1923 with a dummy run held at the opening of the mill. The first outward delivery was made on the 20th December of the same year.
By 1933 the factory had increased its area by over 50% and had added two extra stories to the warehouse block. During World War II the plant ran almost non-stop, working on government and military contracts seven days a week.
Very little development occurred for a period of twenty years. But in 1955 a program commenced which saw the factory increase in size by another 50%; the buildings covering an area of ten acres. Baldwins eventually changed its name following a merger with Central Agency. The now "Coats Patons" continued the two main brand identity products: Coats’ sewing threads and Patons’ knitting yarns.
Coats Patons was the largest textile factory and major employer in this city since 1923 making it a very important part of Launceston’s history. Those employed here were like members of an extended family. Due to increasing costs and an inability to compete in an ever-changing market Coat’s Patons was forced to close its doors in October 1997.
At its peak Patons & Baldwins employed over 2,400 people.
After its close, it remained mostly empty until 2009, when a large church took over the ownership and many businesses started within the building, including a gym, cafe, child care centre and storage, amongst others.