The church of St John of the Florentines, is dedicated to St John the Baptist, the protector of Florence, as new church for the Florentine community in Rome. Its construction was started in the 16th century and completed in the early eighteenth. The main façade fronts onto the Via Giulia. This straight street was an urban initiative, carried out in 1508 by the architect Donato Bramante at the instigation of Pope Julius II Della Rovere, which cut through the irregular urban fabric to the Ponte Sant’Angelo, the bridge which crosses the River Tiber to the Castel Sant’Angelo and St Peters.
La basilica di San Giovanni dei Fiorentini, dedicata a san Giovanni Battista, fu iniziata nel XVI secolo e completata nel XVIII all'inizio di Via Giulia come chiesa nazionale dei fiorentini a Roma. È basilica minore e parrocchia romana.