Rail Trail 1: Mind the Gap Traditional Cache
Rail Trail 1: Mind the Gap
-
Difficulty:
-
-
Terrain:
-
Size:
 (micro)
Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions
in our disclaimer.
This is one of four caches placed along a short section of the Blackwater Rail Trail between Constance Close in Witham and Blue Mills Hill. This was once part of the rail line between Witham and Wickham Bishops. The track bed remains and is wide enough for pushchairs and cycles.
On one side of the track are the backs of the houses on the Maldon Road and the other side are fields with great views towards Wickham Bishops. St Bartholomews Church spire and the golf course can be seen in the distance.
Plans for a railway line to Witham and Braintree, and also a projected line to Chelmsford were deposited in 1845. Following a private Act of Parliament Royal Assent was given in June 1846 granting power to run the line from Maldon via Heybridge, Langford and Wickham Bishops to Witham.
Eastern Counties Railway purchased the shares from the proprietors and in 1847 the building contract was given to Thomas Jackson. The main terminus in Maldon was built on Potman Marsh and followed a very grand and ornate design and required the labour of a very large work force to construct. Two bridges were built to cross the river Chelmer and the Chelmer and Blackwater navigation with a dock constructed alongside the canal. Where the track crossed the Causeway a level crossing was built and also an underpass for the passage of pedestrians and animals. The station also included a large goods yard and there were plans for a dock to be constructed within it so that goods could be taken directly from the boats to the goods trucks. Part of the uncompleted dock can still be seen today.
The first goods train left Maldon East Station in August 1848 followed by the commencement of passenger services on 2nd October 1848.
Originally the line to Witham was dual track but due to the line not performing as planned one track was lifted during the period of the Crimmean War (1854-6) and sold to the War Office.In 1862 Eastern Counties Railway was absorbed into the Great Eastern Railway.
The line closed for passenger traffic on on 6th September 1964 as a direct result of Dr. Beeching although the line soldiered on with freight only until April 15th 1966. Following closure, approximately half a mile of the branch from Witham station toward Maldon was used as a siding serving an industrial area for delivery of steel by railway, this section closed in the early 1980s after a rail strike. An original brick built goods shed was demolished in mid 2008 just weeks before being considered for listed status.
Lengths of the former Witham to Maldon railway line were purchased from British Rail by Essex County Council in 1993. These have now become public cycle and walkways.
There is limited parking close to Stage 1 and street parking close to stage 4 - see waypoints.
Additional Hints
(Decrypt)
Qrcraqvat ba fvmr, vgf n gvtug fdhrrmr!
Treasures
You'll collect a digital Treasure from one of these collections when you find and log this geocache:

Loading Treasures