How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This multi cache visits two historic sites in the upper estuary of the St. Louis River - John Jacob Astor Park and Chamber's Grove.
Begin this caching quest by finding the Daughters of the American Revolution Plaque located in John Jacob Astor Park. Located on the north bank of the estuary, this land was the site of an Ojibway village that dates back to the earliest recorded history. In 1817 John Jacob Astor Park built a headquarters and outpost for the American Fur Trading Company. This location in the upper estuary was important: after traversing the 7 mile portage across riffles and waterfalls just upstream of the site, traders could travel north to Lake Vermillion and Canada or southwest to the Mississippi River drainage. Local historian Jerome Blazevic, of the Blazevic geocaching clan, reports that more furs and pelts came out of Fond du Lac than Grand Portage. source: [Peter Passi, Duluth News Tribune, 10/25/10]
To find the final, retrieve the following information from the historical plaque found at the coordinates:
AAA = the Year that Daniel Greysolon Sieur Du Luth visited this site - 1038
BBB = the Year of the first treaty between Fon du Lac and the United States - 900
Final coordinates are
N 46 39.AAA
W 92 16.BBB
The final is a short distance away in Chamber's Grove. Chamber's grove was the site of a mansion built by Michael and Emily Chambers, who made and lost their fortune quarrying Fond du Lac Brownstone. The mansion was destroyed in a fine in 1891, but the ruins not removed until 1912. A colorful history of Duluth Brownstone Quarrying can be found here Source: Tony Dierckins, March 2012, Zenith City Online
Remnants of the old quarry can be seen by seeking out "Just Another Cache #1 - The Wall"
And for more caches and quests, visit Stories and Science of the St. Louis River Estuary
(No hints available.)