Skip to Content

Traditional Geocache

Linha do Vale das Voltas - Paços de Brandão

A cache by xptopt Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 12/5/2012
In Aveiro, Portugal
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:



Linha do Vale das Voltas


Com o objectivo de encurtar a distância entra as cidades do Porto e Viseu iniciou-se em finais de 1907 a construção do primeiro troço da Linha do Vouga, a ligação Espinho – Oliveira de Azeméis.

Os trabalhos foram avançando com várias dificuldades devido às características do terreno resultando num percurso bastante sinuoso razão pela qual ter sido conhecida, em tempos, por “Linha do Vale da voltas”.

Construídos pela Compagnie Francaise pour la Cosntruction de Chemin de Fer à l’Etranger, estes 33 Km iniciais foram inaugurados a 23 de Novembro de 1908, com a presença de El Rei D. Manuel II, e abertos à exploração a 21 de Dezembro do mesmo ano.

Passados que estão mais de 100 anos desde a sua inauguração, este percurso continua activo e com um razoável fluxo de passageiros tendo sido alvo recente da modernização de algumas infra-estruturas.

A estação de Paços de Brandão, a 9 Km, de Espinho é ponto de cruzamento das composições que circulam em sentidos opostos e é das poucas estações, desta linha, que se encontram em bom estado de conservação, apesar do edifício não ser já usado para a suas funções iniciais. O espaço inclui ainda um jardim que está igualmente bem conservado.


Vista da estação

A 'clássica' automotora a gasóleo
 

Shortening the distance between the cities of Porto and Viseu was the main reason for building, by the end of 1907, the Linha do Vouga’s first section connecting Espinho and Oliveira de Azemeis.

Construction advanced slowly due to the terrain morphology resulting in a twisting route that was known has the “Linha do Vales das Voltas” - Railroad of the Valley of the turns.

Built by the Compagnie Francaise pour la Construction de Chemin de Fer à l’Etranger, these first 33 Km were inaugurated on November, 23rd 1908, by His Magesty King D. Manuel II, and wre open for the public in December, 21st.

A 100 years have passed since the line’s inauguration and this section is still active, has a reasonable number of passengers and some of its infrastructures were recently upgraded.

Paços de Brandão station, located 9 Km from Espinho, is a crossing point for the trains that run on opposing directions. Is, also, one of the few trains station from this line that is well preserved despite the building itself not being used for its initial function. The station grounds include a little garden/park that is, also, well maintained.


Nos tempos do vapor

O dia da inauguração

 

--«« »»--


Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[PT] Wá dhr rfgbh ndhv ibh à ergergr.

[EN] V zvtug nf jryy whfg tb gb gur ybb.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

291 Logged Visits

Found it 253     Didn't find it 1     Write note 7     Temporarily Disable Listing 10     Enable Listing 10     Publish Listing 1     Needs Maintenance 1     Owner Maintenance 8     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 15 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 8/23/2017 3:01:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time (10:01 AM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page