Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Welcome to Hinterthal a tradi to honour the town of Hinterthal.
Hinterthal, belonging to the township of Maria Alm am Steinernen Meer is about 5 km from the center Maria Alm. The town itself has no great historical influence but became well known for its hunting grounds. "Urslau", the name of the waters running through the valley, implicates the vast amount of bear which once were in the region. Around 1545 Erzbischof Matthäus Lang von Wellenburg built the Poschengut in Hinterthal as a "hunting cabin". These hunting grounds, although of no historical importance made the area very popular in certain social circles.
At around 1610, a farmer built a wooden chapel at the far end of the valley. In 1678 is was rebuilt with help from other farmers and massoned. In 1681 it received the allowance to hold Mass. It was called the "Gallis" Chapel after the holy Gallus which once again was fitting to the regional bear population. The chapel is now called the Kirche der hl. Dreifaltigkeit or Church of the Holy Trinity.
Today...the bear have been replaced with outdoor sports fans. The town of Hinterthal is part of a great sport region Hochkönig....skiing, hiking, and all major mountaineering sports are found here!
WELCOME TO HINTERTHAL