In this shady grove, the coachmen would wait,
As senators, presidents and men of wealth ate.
The Hathaway House, built in 1844 by Major-General Samuel Gilbert Hathaway, was the hub of his eight thousand acre estate as well as his political career.
From here Hathaway managed a large farm, with notables such as the Rockefellers as business acquaintances, while at the same time playing an active role in politics as a senator and congressman.
Hathaway’s Greek Revival manor house, enhanced by marble fireplaces, pier mirrors and crystal chandeliers, was visited by many of the early aristocrats as well as three presidents, for whom he served as an advisor.
Today this private restaurant business operates as a regional conferencing and catering facility. The Hathaway House country estate is meticulously maintained by its current owners, the Tinelli family, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.