Nassau is the capital and largest city of The Bahamas. It is formally known as Charles Town which was razed in 1684. Over hundreds of years, between 1695 and today, the settlement has been renamed Nassau and control has changed hands multiple times between the Spanish, pirates, British and others. More info about Nassau here
. The cache is located right next to Christ Church Cathedral of George Street in Nassau.
The first church building for the Parish of Christ Church was built between 1670 and 1684. It stood to the west of the present building, on what is now known as West Hill Street. It was later destroyed by the Spaniards in 1684. The second building, believed to have stood to the east of the present building in the area of what is now Frederick Street, was completed in 1695. It was destroyed by the Spaniards in 1703. The third building was completed in 1724 at the present site and was made of wood, like all of those before it.
The fourth building, made of locally quarried cut stone replaced the wooden church in 1754. A steeple was added in 1774. In 1827, the steeple was found in a very dangerous condition and was taken down. A new square tower, the existing one, was erected in its place in 1830.
In 1834 an Act was passed by the legislature for the enlargement of Christ Church which was to be connected to the square tower and was to incorporate the other features of the fourth church. The fifth church building, still in use, was opened for services in 1841 and incorporates the tower, a striking feature of the fourth church. The building was extended to the east in 1861 to include the area occupied by the present sanctuary and a part of the present chancel or choir. In 1861 Christ Church Parish Church became a Cathedral and Nassau became a city.
Recent restorations to the Cathedral including new pews, tiled floors and new stained-glass windows were made between 1990 and 1995.