Church Micro 3248...Bulwick
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
10ml Camo tube
The village of Bulwick is pleasantly situated between Stamford and Kettering. The lower part, on the west side of the Willow Brook, was known as Henwick. It is not mentioned in the Domesday Book but in the reign of Henry II (1154-1189) there were “two hides of land in Bolewyk and one in Henewyk in the hands of Bitalis Lovet.” Bulwick Church With its slender spire, Bulwick Church rises above the picturesque stone cottages of the village and is built in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles of architecture. The Nave: The north arcade dates from about 1200, but the south arcade is about 100 years later. The clerestory is 15th century. The north doorway is probably 13th century. Near the organ are the ancient steps which led to the Rood Loft. The small round font is medieval; the cover of wood and wrought-iron was made in 1866 for £4. Part of the south aisle was furnished as a Sunday School corner in 1958. The Chancel: The windows just within the arch are13th century. The east window, of late 13th or early 14th century date, was filled with stained glass in 1877 in memory of Anne, daughter of Sir John Trollope and wife of Thomas Tryon. There is a good sedilia with three seats and a piscina with trefoil head. The marble and alabaster reredos dates from 1863, as do the choir stalls. The monogram A.M.W. Garbed on the latter was designed by Sir Charles Isham. Mrs A. M. Warnaby was the mother-in-law of Rector Holdich and the stalls are in her memory. The vestry leading out of the chancel was added in the same year. Tower and Spire: The embattled tower is surmounted by a well-proportioned spire rising to a height of 115ft. above ground level. Near the top, part of the tombstone of Hannah Ireson, wife of Thomas Ireson, has been used to replace old stonework. The five bells are dated 1629 (two), 1630, 1648 and 1859. The three oldest were cast in the Stamford Bell Foundry. The Organ: The gift of Lt. Col. Tryon in 1874, it was made by M. G. Holdich, the Rector’s brother. A carving of it is on one of the bench ends. It is of excellent workmanship and was thoroughly restored by S. E. Gilks of Peterborough in 1964. It replaced a barrel organ, with 30 tunes. Memorials: On the nave floor is a brass of 1482 to William and Margaret Etogos. On the south wall is an alabaster monument showing a man and a woman kneeling at a prayer desk. It is for Eleanor Fowkes who died in 1609. Her husband, Sir Henry Fowkes, died in 1612. Underneath were figures of their six children. A wall monument with marble bust commemorates Vice-Admiral Sir George Tryon who died with 300 of his men when H.M.S. Victoria collided with H.M.S. Camperdown and sank in the Mediterranean in 1893. There are a number of coloured windows and tablets with inscriptions telling the story of other Tryons who lost their lives while on active service. A window picturing St. John and St. Nicholas is in memory of the Rev. J. H. Holdich, Rector from 1862 to 1892. The litany desk commemorates Mrs. E. M. Conant, nee Tryon, who died in 1958. Chantry: A Chantry, founded by Geoffrey Cappe, Henry Duke of Lancaster, John of Gaunt and Lord William Zouche, was dissolved in 1547. The chantry chapel stood in the churchyard and was built in honour of St. Anne and our lady. An old document records that in 1526 W. Zouche Esq., left “to the chantry priests at Bulwich for lying in St. An Chapel xvis and viid. And to the same priests for remembrance of me in their bede roll vis. and viid.” The last two priests were Richard Heiborn and William Dolby. Registers: They date from 1568 and are in a good state of preservation. In the baptism register under 1629 is the name Robert Clayton who became Lord Mayor of London. He has a memorial in Bletchingley Church, Surrey. Reginald Fitzurse, born long before the time of the registers, one of the four knights of Henry II who murdered Thomas a Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury in 1170, is said to have been a native of Bulwick. Bulwick Hall Bulwick Hall has been the home of the same family, the Tryons and Conants, since it was built in 1676. They are the Patrons of the Living. Peter Tryon came from Holland and settled in England about 1560; it was his son Moses who bought the Manors of Bulwick and Harringworth about 1620. One of the most eminent members of the Bulwick Tryons was William Tryon who became Governor of the State of North Carolina in 1765. The fine house he built at New Bern has been restored and is maintained by a State Commission. “If anybody would like to expand to this series please do, I would just ask that you could let Sadexploration know first so he can keep track of the Church numbers and names to avoid duplication. There is also a Church Micro Stats page found via the Bookmark list”
Raq bs jnyy!