The origins of this hospital date back to 1863 when the East Grinstead Cottage Hospital was founded. Following a number of incarnations as a small community hospital, the Queen Victoria Hospital, as it became known by the 1930s, moved to its current site in 1936.
In 1939 a surgeon named Archibald McIndoe started work at the hospital. Less than 10 years later, New-Zealand born McIndoe was knighted in recognition of his pioneering plastic surgery techniques and holistic approach to the treatment of allied aircrew during World War II. These young men, who became known as the 'Guinea Pigs', had been badly burned or crushed in their planes, many during the Battle of Britain.
McIndoe's legacy lives on to this day as QVH remains the regional centre for specialist plastic and reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation. The modern-day QVH burns centre bears McIndoe's name as does the research foundation that shares the site, with whom the hospital continues to develop pioneering techniques for the treatment of burns.
For more information on the hospital : http://www.qvh.nhs.uk/
Also the nearby museum is worth a look :http://www.eastgrinsteadmuseum.org.uk/guinea_pig_club
NOTE : IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO ENTER HOSPITAL GROUNDS