In saxon times, the original village - known as Wickham - was probably clustered around the site where All Saints Church now stands. It is in an area of about ten acres of easily-worked silty gravel soil. This is quite different from the heavy land of the present village, which was covered by a vast impenetrable forest, being quite unsuited to tillage by the tools used by the Saxons. Because of the architectural and historical merit of the original village buildings that remain around the church, this part is now a conservation area. Wickhambrook is a scattered village of around one thousand people living on eleven greens, ten miles from Bury St Edmunds, Newmarket, Clare and Haverhill or as the title of a book by local author John Bean would have it 'Ten Miles from Anywhere'. The eleven greens follow an Anglo - Saxon settlement pattern of small farms and scattered groups of houses beside the fields. Until the 1980's Wickhambrook boasted a vineyard at Genesis Green where wine was produced. The village has an ancient Parish Church, All Saints Church together with a Methodist Church and United Reformed ChurchThere are three large Manor houses, Giffords, Badmondisfield and Clopton Hall, all high status, timber-framed examples of the 16th century. There are several large farmhouses dating from the early 1500’s. At this time, many country dwellers were moving into towns to live, and the farmers who grew food to send to these towns became wealthy. As you approach the village sign from Thorns Corner, All Saints Church is easily recognisable on the top panel. The mill, no longer with us, represents those which were in Mill Lane and at Thorns Corner and the thatched cottage one of many such in the village.The harvester represents the arable content of most of the village farms and the waterway, with its wildlife, the village stream and the many ponds that there used to be and the few that are left. On the bottom panel, the house in the background represents the manor houses of the village and the playing field our eleven village greens with the cricket team which, although not active at the moment, dates back to the 1800's. Judging by the handcuffs hanging over his arm, the gentleman with the top hat and pint probably represents the local constable, the village had its own until 1973, or the beadle of the poorhouse or maybe both. The bar between the panels depicts the leaves and fruit of the trees common to the village with, at its centre, stonemasonry which can be seen in the church. Finally the masks of comedy and tragedy at the top of the sign represent Wickhambrook's tradition of pantomime. On the other side the top panel shows two of the village crafts, bakery and thatching, the tree represents the orchards of Justin Brooke The bottom panel depicts the School with the children, particularly the one with the hoop, indicating the school's Victorian heritage. The cache is a reminder of a childrens TV program that was first broadcast (in colour) 5th Oct 1970 hence the cache name and the hint.