As part of the ancient parish of Westbury Heywood did not have its own parish church until the mid 19th century. The church of the Holy Trinity in Heywood was built in the Decorated style of the late thirteenth century with a chancel, four bay aisled nave, vestry and south porch. It has a small western open bell cote with three bells and is a good early example of the Ecclesiological movement.
Kelly's Directory of 1848 states that there was no place of worship in the parish at that time but that there was a school where Ludlow's chaplain, the Reverend Carpenter Dixon, performed divine service twice every Sunday. The church was built in 1849, possibly by Harvey Edington for Henry Gaisford Gibbs Ludlow, and could seat 250.
Kelly's Directory of 1889 tells that the pulpit was of Caen stone and there was an organ at the end of the nave. All windows were geometric in style. The stained glass in the east window was by Ward and Hughes, 1876. It has 14th style reticulated tracery. This window is possibly the one that Pevsner noted as being 'especially horrible' in his 'Buildings of England' book!
The plate was hallmarked 1848 and contained a chalice, paten, flagon and alms dish.
The reverend Samuel Henry Pemberton Whittuck held the church in from 1889 to c.1895. He became an ordained priest in 1880 and was formerly of the 8th Hussars!
In 1866 the Ecclesiastical Commissioners made a grant of £1,500 for the erection of a Vicarage house, but a site had not been found in 1875. It was eventually built in 1890 at a cost of £1,400.
In August 1981 after the Reverend Douglas Shaxted resigned a proposal was made that the churchgoers of Heywood move to North Bradley. The church was in a poor state of repair and it was envisaged it would eventually be declared redundant. The last service was held in December 1981; a carol service with a baptism conducted by the Archdeacon of Wiltshire. All fittings were removed when the church closed.
The following year, after a great deal of organising and preparation, the Heywood parishioners merged to become part of North Bradley and Southwick. After the closure of the church, meetings, evensong, a confirmation group, choir and Holy Communion met at the Holy Trinity Church Room.
In 1982 a coffee evening was held in aid of the churchyard fund. The County Council requested in March 1984 that the churchyard be included in the A350 Bends Improvement Scheme. The Parish Council rejected any idea of selling part of the churchyard. The inhabitants of Heywood cut the hedge and helped keep the churchyard tidy.
In 1984 lady members of Holy Trinity took part in the North Bradley Flower Festival