Skip to content

HHS - Sault Ste. Marie Commerce Multi-Cache

Hidden : 03/04/2013
Difficulty:
3.5 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

ENGLISH // FRANÇAIS

The Heritage Hide’n’Seek Geocache Series isn’t your typical history or geography lesson.  Get ready to explore Northern Ontario and discover how its people, places and events shaped the Canada we know today.  Find the caches, answer the questions, collect at least 100 points, and you’ll be eligible for a collectible Heritage Hide‘n’Seek geocoin.

Send your completed passport to:
Parks Canada—Geocache Series, 201 – 201 May Street North, Thunder Bay, Ontario, P7C 3P4
 
Bring your own pencil, as each cache is only large enough to contain a logbook (no trade items, please).
 
All geocaches are accessible directly from trails or public areas.
 
Cache may not be accessible in winter.
 
This cache is worth 30 points.  This multi-cache is all about trade and business in Sault Ste. Marie.  Each of the people or places included has influenced Canadian commerce. All three locations are within walking distance of each other, and public parking is available nearby.

Historical Plaque for Nicolas Perrot, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada 3 August, 2006 (© Parks Canada | Parcs Canada)
Historical Plaque for Nicolas Perrot, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada 3 August, 2006 (© Parks Canada | Parcs Canada)

The first location you will visit is dedicated to Nicolas Perrot. Like many men of his time Nicolas Perrot was a man of many talents—an explorer, interpreter, fur trader and diplomat. French born, he played an important role in the protection of New France’s western frontier along the Upper Great Lakes, as well as later establishing a French presence in the upper Mississippi Valley. Around 1660, he came to New France with Jesuits and seized the opportunity to visit First Nations people and learn their languages.

In 1667, he formed a fur trading company and undertook many expeditions. He likely was the first white man many First Nations people ever saw. Generally he was well received, and considered an ally of the people of these regions.

Underappreciated in his lifetime, Perrot was likely one of France’s best ambassadors. His ability to assimilate himself by learning the languages and cultures of First Nations earned him their esteem and confidence.

Using the Nicolas Perrot plaque and the following clues, decipher the coordinates to find the final cache near the Ermatinger House.

N 46° 3_.351 W 84° 19._98

First blank: How many times does the letter "H" appear in the title of the plaque?
Second blank: Third digit of the year of Perrot’s birth

Ermatinger House (© Parks Canada)
Ermatinger House (© Parks Canada)

Although it may not seem directly related to commerce, be assured Ermatinger House absolutely is. This house, built by Charles Oakes Ermatinger of the North West Company, is believed to be the oldest surviving stone house in northern Ontario. Constructed between 1814 and 1823, it is of classic design with a heavy timber frame.

During its construction Sault St. Marie was a small trading post. However, as the post expanded, Ermatinger House became the centre of the district’s business and social life.

Charles Ermatinger was an independent fur trader who had business and family connections in Montrèal. He entered the fur trade as a clerk for the North West Company in 1795. Eventually he quit the company and became an independent fur trader in Sault Ste. Marie and area. During the war of 1812, he led a party of volunteers in the taking of Fort Michilimackinac, an event you can learn more about by completing the cache entitled All Fort One and One Fort All. Ermatinger House has been used as a mission, hotel, tavern, courthouse, post office, dance hall, tea room and apartment building.

Your next destination is dedicated to Francis Hector Clergue. Using the Ermatinger House plaque, decipher the clues below to find the next stage of the cache.

N 46° 30._13 W 84° 20._05
 
First blank: How many windows in the house are visible from this location?
Second blank: Count the number of ‘e’s and ‘i’s in the title of the plaque

Francis Hector Clergue (© Sault Ste. Marie Museum)
Francis Hector Clergue (© Sault Ste. Marie Museum)

Francis Hector Clergue born in Brewer, Maine, studied law at the University of Maine. He was a passionate and determined man. Before coming to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, he had been involved in fourteen entrepreneurial ventures, most of which failed miserably. This didn’t faze Clergue, though.  Eventually work with a group of Philadelphia financiers and investors brought him to this fair city.
 
Clergue’s arrival in Sault Ste. Marie in 1894 is shrouded in mystery. He was brought in by a group looking for hydro-electric investment opportunities in eastern Canada. They wanted to harvest the power of the rapids on the St. Mary’s River.  At a town meeting Clergue and his business partner offered to buy all the town’s stock in the Ontario and Sault St. Marie Water and Light Company. The offer was accepted and the papers signed two days later—on October 3, 1894.
 
Clergue thought the completion of the hydro-electric installation would lead to industrial development in the area, but it didn’t.  So, Clergue created market demand for electrical power with the construction of a pulp mill. Next, he opened a sulfite mill to chemically treat the pulp, making it finer and stronger.  Clergue didn’t like wasting resources, so he used the by-products of the production of the sulfites—nickel and iron—to create a superior alloy. A German arms manufacturer took interest and signed a five year contract with Clergue to use this product.  Production of the alloy required salt, which created chlorine gas as a by-product.  Scientists figured out for Clergue that chlorine gas could be used to bleach the pulp.
 
Finally, Clergue decided his industries required a railway to survive and flourish.  When an iron ore deposit was discovered nearby, Clergue developed a steel mill to produce steel to complete his railway.  By 1903, following financial difficulties, Clergue lost control and ownership of the industries he had developed.

FRANÇAIS

La série de géocaches Cache-cache patrimoine est complètement différent d’un cours d’histoire ou géographie traditionnel. Préparez-vous à explorer le Nord de l’Ontario et à découvrir comment cette région a façonné le Canada que nous connaissons aujourd’hui. Trouvez les caches, répondez aux questions, obtenez au moins 100 points et vous pourriez vous mériter une géopièce du Cache-cache patrimoine à collectionner.

Envoyez votre passeport rempli à l’adresse suivante :  Parcs Canada – Série de géocaches, 201, rue May Nord, bureau 201, Thunder Bay (Ontario) P7C 3P4
 
Apportez votre propre crayon, car les caches peuvent uniquement contenir un registre (aucun article à échanger, s’il vous plaît).
 
Toutes les géocaches sont accessibles directement à partir des sentiers ou des aires publiques.
 
Les caches pourraient ne pas être accessibles en hiver.
 
Cette cache vaut 30 points. Cette multicache a pour thème le commerce à Sault Ste. Marie. Les personnes et les endroits en vedette ont tous influencé le commerce au Canada. Vous pouvez faire le trajet de la multicache à pied; vous trouverez un stationnement public à proximité.


Plaque commémorative pour Nicolas Perrot, Sault-Ste-Marie, Ontario, Canada 3 août, 2006. (© Parks Canada | Parcs Canada)
Plaque commémorative pour Nicolas Perrot, Sault-Ste-Marie, Ontario, Canada 3 août, 2006. (© Parks Canada | Parcs Canada)

Le premier arrêt de votre visite est dédié à Nicolas Perrot. Comme beaucoup d’hommes de sa génération, Nicolas Perrot était un homme aux talents multiples — explorateur, interprète, commerçant de fourrures et diplomate. D’origine française, Perrot a joué un rôle important dans la protection de la frontière ouest de la Nouvelle France, le long du secteur supérieur des Grands Lacs, ainsi que dans l’établissement d’une présence française dans la partie supérieure de la vallée du Mississippi. Vers 1660, il est venu en Nouvelle France accompagné de Jésuites et en a profité pour rencontrer des peuples des Premières Nations et apprendre leur langue.

En 1667, il a mis sur pied une entreprise de traite de fourrures et entrepris de nombreuses expéditions. Il s’agit probablement du premier homme blanc qu’ont vu bon nombre de peuples des Premières Nations. La plupart du temps, il était bien accueilli et considéré comme un allié.

Perrot a probablement été le meilleur ambassadeur de la France à cette époque, bien qu’il n’ait pas été reconnu comme tel de son vivant. En apprenant la langue et la culture des Premières Nations, Perrot a fait preuve d’une grande capacité d’intégration et s’est mérité l’estime et la confiance des peuples qu’il côtoyait.

En vous servant de la plaque consacrée à Nicolas Perrot et des indices ci dessous, trouvez les coordonnées de la cache finale près de la maison Ermatinger.

N 46° 3_.351 W 84° 19._98

Premier blanc : Combien de fois la lettre « H » apparaît-elle dans le titre de la plaque ?
Deuxième blanc : Troisième chiffre de l’année de naissance de Perrot

La maison Ermatinger (© Parks Canada)
La maison Ermatinger (© Parks Canada)

Bien qu’au premier coup d’œil, la maison Ermatinger ne semble pas liée à l’univers du commerce, elle l’est absolument. Construite par Charles Oakes Ermatinger de la Compagnie du Nord Ouest entre 1814 et 1823, la maison serait la plus ancienne maison de pierre encore debout dans le Nord de l’Ontario. La maison, de style classique, repose sur une charpente en bois massif.

Pendant sa construction, Sault Ste. Marie n’était qu’un petit poste de traite. Toutefois, au fur et à mesure que le poste a gagné en importance, la maison Ermatinger est devenue le centre des affaires et de la vie sociale du secteur.

Charles Ermatinger était un commerçant de fourrure indépendant qui avait des relations d’affaires et de la famille à Montréal. C’est en 1795 qu’il s’engage dans le commerce des fourrures en qualité de commis au sein de la Compagnie du Nord Ouest. Il a plus tard quitté la Compagnie pour s’établir comme commerçant indépendant dans la région de Sault Ste. Marie. Pendant la guerre de 1812, il a mené un groupe de volontaires et participé à la prise de Michilimackinac, événement sur lequel vous en apprendrez davantage en trouvant la cache intitulée All Fort One and One Fort All. La maison Ermatinger a servi de mission, d’hôtel, de taverne, de palais de justice, de bureau de poste, de salle de danse, de salon de thé et d’immeuble à logements.

La prochaine cache porte sur Francis Hector Clergue. Servez vous de la plaque dédiée à la maison Ermatinger et des indices ci dessous pour trouver les coordonnées de cette cache.

N 46° 30._13 W 84° 20._06

Premier blanc : Combien de fenêtres dans la maison sont visibles de cet endroit?
Deuxième blanc : Compter le nombre de « e » et de « i » dans le titre de la plaque


Francis Hector Clergue (© Sault Ste. Marie Museum)
Francis Hector Clergue (© Sault Ste. Marie Museum)

Francis Hector Clergue est né à Brewer, dans le Maine, et a étudié le droit à l’Université du Maine. C’était un homme passionné et déterminé. Avant de s’établir à Sault Ste. Marie, en Ontario, il a collaboré à de nombreuses entreprises, dont bon nombre ont échoué. Mais cela n’a pas découragé Clergue. Il s’est plus tard joint à un groupe de financiers et d’investisseurs de Philadelphie, collaboration qui l’a conduit jusqu’à la belle ville de Sault Ste. Marie.

L’arrivée de Clergue à Sault Ste. Marie en 1894 est auréolée de mystère. Il y serait venu avec un groupe de financiers à la recherche de possibilités d’investissement dans le domaine de l’hydroélectricité dans l’Est canadien. Les hommes souhaitaient exploiter les rapides de la rivière Mary’s comme source d’électricité. Lors d’une réunion du conseil municipal, Clergue et son associé ont proposé d’acheter toutes les actions de la ville dans la Ontario and Sault St. Marie Water and Light Company (compagnie hydraulique). L’offre a été acceptée et les papiers ont été signés deux jours plus tard, soit le 3 octobre 1894.

Clergue croyait qu’avec l’achèvement des travaux de l’installation hydroélectrique, la région connaîtrait un développement industriel, mais sans succès. Clergue a donc entrepris de créer une demande pour de l’électricité en construisant une usine de pâte à papier, puis une usine de pâte au sulfite pour traiter chimiquement la pâte et la rendre plus fine et solide. Clergue, qui n’aimait pas gaspiller les ressources, utilisait les sous produits de l’usine — du nickel et du fer — pour produire un alliage de qualité supérieure. Un fabricant d’armes allemand a manifesté son intérêt pour le produit et signé un contrat de cinq ans avec Clergue pour utiliser cet alliage. Sa production nécessitait du sel, ce qui engendrait la production de chlore gazeux. Les scientifiques ont alors conseillé à Clergue d’utiliser le chlore gazeux pour blanchir la pâte à papier.

Toutefois, Clergue croyait que son entreprise ne pourrait pas survivre et croître sans la présence d’un chemin de fer. Après avoir découvert l’existence d’un gisement de minerai de fer à proximité, Clergue a mis sur pied une aciérie pour fabriquer les matériaux dont il avait besoin pour compléter le chemin de fer. En 1903, après avoir rencontré quelques difficultés financières, Clergue a dû céder le contrôle de ses entreprises.

Additional Hints (No hints available.)