Skip to content

Mother Seton's Nano Traditional Cache

Hidden : 3/10/2013
Difficulty:
2.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   other (other)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Hopefully a quick grab in one of Baltimore's hidden gems.Standard nano (I know some really hate nanos, but seemed the best choice to make long-lasting).At chest/head level.Watch for muggles and their dogs.Street parking available.BYOP. Cache should be accessible from St. Mary's Park. Please DO NOT attempt to grab this by sneaking behind the bushes.
 

About Mother Seton House and Historic Seminary Chapel (From: http://www.stmarysspiritualcenter.org/index.html):

In 1791, at the invitation of Bishop John Carroll, the Sulpician Fathers arrived in the City of Baltimore and settled on this very site to begin the first Roman Catholic Seminary in the United States. Bishop Carroll knew of the Sulpician Fathers’ unique ministry of priestly formation from their ministry in France, and thus he invited them to come to his young diocese in the United States to do their ministry of priestly formation in this new land. The seminary, founded in 1791, was initially located in a building on southeast corner of the property known as the One Mile Tavern. With the help of Bishop John Carroll and others, the Sulpicians were able to purchase additional property adjoining the One Mile Tavern and build St. Mary’s College and Seminary.

The only remaining structure of the seminary is the Historic Chapel. The building of the chapel began in 1806 and was completed and dedicated in 1808. The chapel was designed by the renowned French architect Maximilian Godefroy, who himself was a friend of Benjamin Latrobe, often renowned as the Father of American Architecture. The chapel attracts architectural students as well as pilgrims to the site.

The other historic building located on the site is the of home of Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton. In 1975, Mother Seton, as she is commonly known, became the first  U.S.-born canonized saint within the Catholic Church. Mother Seton, a wife, mother, widow, convert, educator, and finally saint, offers a wonderful example of all that we can be with the grace of God. Mother Seton arrived at the Paca Street home the day of the dedication of the Seminary Chapel in 1808. She came to Baltimore at the invitation of Sulpician Father Louis W. DuBourg, who was then president of St. Mary’s College & Seminary. She, her three daughters, and several other girls called the Paca Street house their home for only one year, 1808 to 1809. During that year, she befriended a student at St. Mary’s named Samuel Cooper. Mr. Cooper, a man of resources, gave Elizabeth Bayley Seton eight thousand dollars with which she purchased St. Joseph’s Valley in Emmitsburg, Maryland.

In 1809 she left her humble roots on Paca Street and began her 3-day journey to Emmitsburg. While in Emmitsburg, once again under the tutelage of the Sulpician Fathers, Mother Seton began her new ministry of Catholic education. It was Sulpician Father Dubois who welcomed her to Emmitsburg and helped her become established in her new home. Her relocation to Emmitsburg was eased by the fact that the Sulpician Fathers were present as neighbors to her at Mount St. Mary’s College and Seminary, founded by the Sulpician Fathers in 1808. This institution and the presence of the Sulpician Fathers, gave great support and solace to the young widow and her dreams of founding a religious congregation and establishing a school for girls in Emmitsburg.


About Seton Hill neighborhood and St. Mary's Park: (http://www.ndc-md.org/St.MarysPark.htm)
Seton Hill, architecturally significant as one of Baltimore's oldest intact rowhouse neighborhoods, is also rich in religious and African-American history.  In the 1600's the area was part of the 680-acre Chatsworth plantation.

St. Mary's Park, central to the neighborhood, was originally part of St. Mary's Seminary founded in 1791 by French Sulpician priests (who arrived in the aftermath of the French Revolution).  The neighborhood was designated as an Historic and Architectural Preservation District of Baltimore City in 1968 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. It is the larges green space on the West Side. 



Historic Site Visitor Center Hours
Monday-Friday: 12:00-3:30 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: 1:00-3:00 p.m. 
During inclement weather, please phone ahead to confirm the site is open.
 
The Historic Site Visitor Center is CLOSED on Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday.
CONGRATS to wizardofmd69 for a FTF

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

1) Nccebnpu sebz gur cnex, abg sebz gur frzvanel fvqr 2) Arne na vagrefrpgvba pybfr gb gur ubyyl gerr, ernpu ba guebhtu gb teno lbhe cevmr.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)