Close to this cache is a signpost for Cooksmill Green. This lovely little hamlet has its own church, which has a very interesting history. The Congregational Church in Cooksmill Green, or as it is better known locally as ‘The Chapel’, has been the focal point of this Essex hamlet for almost 150 years. Its origins can be traced back to the beginning of the 19th century when local travel was not a task to be undertaken lightly and the highlight of the week for many people living in rural villages was an open air service conducted by visitors from Chelmsford’s Congregational Church. This led to the establishment of ‘Meeting Houses’ in many of these villages so that local services could be enjoyed in comparative comfort with protection from the elements.
In 1865 a piece of freehold land was acquired in Cooksmill Green by members and trustees of New London Street Chapel, Chelmsford. The ½ acre site was purchased for £29–11 shillings and work commenced on the construction of the Congregational Chapel, Chapel House and Stable. A few months later ‘The Roxwell Meeting House’ was completed. (Cooksmill Green being in the parish of Roxwell).
Cooksmill Green Church 1916

At 3.00pm on Sunday 7th April 1867 Cooksmill Green Chapel was opened with a Mr Wilkinson from New London Road Chelmsford, leading the worship and preaching the opening sermon. Since 1867 the original building has remained almost unchanged.
The stable on the north side of the Meeting House was converted into a schoolroom in August 1929 and an additional strip of land next to the church was purchased in 1962 for the sum of £25.
Refurbishments to the interior of the church have included a match board ceiling (to replace the original plaster which deteriorated through the continued use of oil lamps and coal burning stoves) new floors and handmade window frames which were installed in the 1990’s. The wrought iron light fittings were obtained from a company of craftsmen in Austria who specialize in the use of re-cycled metal from old railway tracks.
The pulpit at Cooksmill Green once formed part of a small church at Tylers Green near Ongar and is known to have been used by the 19th century missionary and explorer David Livingstone whilst he was training for the ministry.