Skip to content

<

L'Union reconVERTie

A cache by CHTIGONES Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 05/12/2013
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

[FR] La recherche de cette cache est l'occasion de revenir sur l'histoire de l'Union de Limoges, la puissante coopérative de consommation des ouvriers porcelainiers de Limoges.
[EN] The search of this cache is the opportunity to return on the history of the Union of Limoges, the powerful co-operative society of the porcelain workers of Limoges.



[FR]

Le Théâtre de l'Union actuel tient son nom de la salle du même nom qui a été inaugurée en 1911 sur l'emplacement d'un ancien atelier de porcelaine. A sa création par l'Union des Coopérateurs, elle faisait partie d’un vaste ensemble de 6000 m² et servait comme salle des fêtes et pour des réunions publiques. Elle reçut notamment les meetings de Jaurès, Blum, Guesde et Auriol.



Cette puissante organisation, l'Union de Limoges, est née d'une utopie portée par une poignée d’hommes le 20 novembre 1881.

En décembre 1894 l’Union emménage dans un bâtiment neuf de 80 mètres de long avec un étage et une cave qui abrite aujourd'hui le Frac (Fond Régional d'Art Contemporain – WP N°6). Elle permet d’entreposer 3 000 hectolitres de vin.
Depuis 1910 plus de 10 000 membres peuvent ainsi y acheter des produits de première nécessité de bonne qualité et à moindre coût : pain, aliments, vêtements. L’Union remporte un franc succès avec la fabrication du pain à tel point qu’en 1912, 10 tonnes sont produites par jour. La coopérative devient la plus grosse entreprise de Limoges.
Aux alentours de 1930, l’Union est en mesure de nourrir les deux-tiers des habitants de Limoges.

26.000 familles sont adhérentes en 1939 !
L'Union initie tout un programme d'œuvres sociales (WP N°5) et s'implique dans les loisirs, le service, l'éducation, la formation et la culture.

La salle de l’Union proprement dite (WP N°4) est construite en 1909. Consacrée d’abord aux réunions des coopérateurs, elle s’ouvre très vite à d’autres événements : fêtes, spectacles et projections.

L'Union de Limoges sort affaiblie de la Seconde Guerre mondiale et l'exploitation cinématographique devient sa principale activité, complétée par des galas de variétés comme celui de Claude François en octobre 1963.
La salle devient le
Ciné Union, la troisième salle de France en taille, juste derrière le Grand Rex et le Gaumont Palace de Paris.
Elle a toujours été à la pointe de la technologie : les coopérateurs ont mis un point d’honneur à suivre les évolutions techniques du cinéma et à acquérir un matériel de pointe.

Mais, à la fin des années 60, son heure de gloire semble passée. La salle finit par fermer le 31 décembre 1970.

Dernier film projeté
A l'affiche de la dernière séance : "Visa pour l'aventure", avec Pat Boone.

Elle resta abandonnée durant 15 ans. En 1986, le conseil municipal de Limoges décide d’acheter la salle aux Coopérateurs et l’attribue au Centre Dramatique National nouvellement créé. Elle sera baptisée "La Limousine" avant de retrouver son nom d'origine "l'Union".

Votre quête d'indices vous permettant de parvenir à la cache commence au pied de l'église située en face de la salle.

Indice A / WP N°1 :
comptez le nombre de branches (en forme de cœur) que comporte la rosace du transept Est. A = _

Indice B / WP N°2 :
comptez le nombre de sarcophages. B = _

Indice C / WP N°3 :
comptez le nombre d'oiseaux présents sur la stèle à l'angle de la rue des Sapeurs. C = _

Les murs du théâtre comportent encore la trace de ses origines.
Indice D / WP N°4 :
comptez le nombre de fois où le "chiffre" de l'Union est gravé sur la façade principale. D = _

Indice E / WP N°5:
à l'arrière du bâtiment, au dessus les caves, se trouvait l'entrée d'un service dont on distingue nettement le nom. Comptez les nombre de lettres de ce service (en relief) encore présentes au dessus de la porte. E = _ _

Si le cœur vous en dit, vous pourrez visiter le FRAC situé en contrebas, dans les anciennes caves. L'intérêt architectural de ce bâtiment n'est visible qu'à l'intérieur !
Indice F / WP N°6 :
comptez le nombre d'ouvertures en forme d'arche situées sur la partie métallique de la façade. F = _


La cache se trouve en
N 45° 50.B (A+B) (E-B-F) E 001° 15.C (A+B) (B+C+D)

Attention aux fenêtres indiscrètes en face …

Pourquoi "VERT"
Ma première cache posée (GC3VHY2) était une boîte verte, avec un stylo vert, un log book vert et des objets d'échange verts. Ainsi est née l'idée de placer les caches qui ont suivi sous le signe du "VERT" et de proposer un challenge consistant à y déposer de préférence des objets "VERTs". Ce challenge ne peut malheureusement pas concerner les caches de taille nano ou micro mais l'utilisation d'un stylo VERT reste possible





[EN]


The current Théâtre de l'Union gets its name from the room holding the same name which was inaugurated in 1911 on the location of a old porcelain workshop. In its creation by the Union of the Co-workers, it was a part of vast all of 6000 m ² and served as village hall and for public meetings. It received in particular the meetings of Jaurès, Blum, Guesde and Auriol.




This powerful organization, the Union of Limoges, arose from a utopia carried by men's handful on November 20th, 1881.

In December, 1894 the Union moves into a new building 80 meters long with a floor and a cellar which shelters the FRAC (Regional Museum of Contemporary Art - WP N°6 today). It allows to store 3 000 hectoliters of wine.
Since 1910 more than 10 000 members can so buy there good quality goods and at a lower cost: bread, food, clothes. The Union gains a big hit with the bread making to such a point that in 1912, 10 tons are produced per day. The cooperative becomes the biggest company of Limoges.
Near 1930, the Union is capable to feed one third of the inhabitants of Limoges.

26.000 families are members in 1939 !
The Union introduces a whole program of charitable works (WP N°5) and gets involved in the leisure activities, the facilities, the education, the education and the culture.

The hall of the Union itself (WP N°4) is built in 1909. Dedicated at the beginning to the meetings of the co-workers, it opens very fast to other events: parties, entertainments and projections.

The Union of Limoges goes out weakened by the Second World War and the film operation becomes its main activity, completed by official receptions of varieties as Claude François in October, 1963.
The hall becomes the Ciné Union, the third room of France in size, just behind the Big Rex and the Gaumont Palace of Paris.
It was always state-of-the-art: the co-workers made it a point of honor to follow the technical evolutions of the cinema and to acquire a state-of-the-art equipment.

But, at the end of the 60s, its hour of glory seems past. The room finaly closes on December 31st, 1970.

Dernier film projeté
Last film show : "Visa pour l'aventure", with Pat Boone.

It remained abandoned for 15 years. In 1986, the Town of Limoges decides to buy the room to the Co-workers and attributes it to the recently created National Arts Center. It will be baptized " The Limousine " before finding its name of origin " the Union ".

Your collection of digits allowing you to reach cache begins at the foot of the church situated in front of the hall.
Digit A / WP N°1 :
count the number of branches (with a shape of heart) which contains the rosette of the East transept. A = _
Digit B / WP N°2 :
count the number of sarcophaguses. B = _
Digit C / WP N°3 :
count the number of birds on the stele in the angle of the "rue des sapeurs". C = _
The walls of the theater still contain the track of its origins.
Digit D / WP N°4 :
count the number of times when the initials of the Union (enlaced "UL") is engraved on the main facade. D = _
Digit E / WP N°5 :
behind the building, above the cellars, was the entrance of a service from which we distinguish clearly the name. Count number of letters still present (in relief) above the door. E = _ _
If it pleases you, you can visit the FRAC situated below, in the old cellars. The architectural interest of this building is visible only inside!
Digit F / WP N°6 :
consider the number of openings wiyh a shape of arch situated on the metallic part of the facade. F = _

The cache is in
N 45° 50.B (A+B) (E-B-F) E 001° 15.C (A+B) (B+C+D)
Attention on the indiscreet windows opposite ...

Why "VERT" ?
My first put geocache (GC3VHY2) was a green box, with a green pen, a green log portfolio and green items of exchange. So was born the idea to place the geocaches which followed under the sign of the "VERT" and to propose a challenge consisting in depositing there rather "GREEN" objects. This challenge cannot unfortunately concern the geocaches of nano size or micro size but the use of a GREEN pen remains possible





Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[FR] Ra unhg [EN] Ba gur gbc

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.