Skip to content

<

Chat Botté

A cache by frenchrussons Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 05/06/2013
Difficulty:
1 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Passavant-sur-Layon, un site plein de charme dont le château et l’église sont inscrits aux Monuments Historiques. La légende voudrait que Charles Perrault se soit inspire de Passavant-sur-Layon pour écrire le conte du Chat Botté (Fr).

Passavant-sur-Layon, is a charming village and its Chateau and Church are considered part of the national historical monuments. According to the legend, Charles Perrault found his inspiration in Passavant-sur-Layon to write the famous tale of ‘Puss in Boots’ (En).

Passavant sur Layon(Fr)

Dés le XI° siècle, Foulques Nerra établit un système de défense sur le territoire. D'importantes fortifications sont élevées entre le XII° st le XIII° siècle. A la suite de nombreuses attaques, pendant notamment la guerre de cent ans, le village est brûlé, reconstruit et incendié une nouvelle fois. Le château fort a gardé son enceinte, son chemin de ronde, quelques vieilles tours et les vestiges du pont levis.

Le Moulin et la Chaussée

La chaussée d'origine médiévale était une voie d'entrée du Poitou vers l'Anjou. C'est une digue qui retenait les eaux du Layon pour une défense autour du château. Cette retenue d'eau était utilisée pour faire tourner le moulin banal. En 1862 les régistres d'état révèlent que le moulin était équipe de roues avec des seaux et de 2 paires de meule. Il a progressivement été modernisé. Il s'est arrèté en 1985.

L'église St Etienne

Cette église est composée d'un choeur des XI° et XII° siècle. L'abside, voutée en cul-de-four est enchâssée dans un chevet plat. La nef a été reconstruite en 1862.Derrière la sacristie, nous trouvons des dalles funéraires de la famille de Caravas. La tradition locale situe l'histoire du « chat-botté »à Passavant : la similitude du nom aurait inspiré Charles Perrault.

La chapelle Notre Dame de Pitié

Cette chapelle témoin de l'ancienne enceinte de la ville est restaurée au XVII° et XIX° siècle. Elle est encore un lieu d'intercession auprès de deux qintes : Appoline et Néomène.

La chapelle St Martin

L'aumonerie St Martin et sa chapelle témoignent des abris hors les murs, autrefois réservé aux pélerins et aux malades, notamment aux lépreux très nombreux au XII° et XIV° siècle.(Fr)

informations prises sur le dictionnaire historique « Flohic »

Passavant sur Layon(En)

From the 11th century, Fulk Nerra (the Black Falcon) established a defense system in the area. Significant high fortifications are put in place between the 12th and 13th century and after many attacks, especially during the Hundred Years War, the village was burned, rebuilt and burned again. The castle has kept its walls, the walkway, some old towers and still has the remains of the drawbridge.

The Mill and the Causeway

The medieval causeway was an entryway to the Poitou Anjou, and also acted as a dam holding the waters of Layon for defense purposes around the castle. The reservoir was used to turn the village mill, and in 1862 the registers status indicates that the mill had two pairs of wheels, equipped with buckets. It was gradually modernised, and eventually stopped as a working Mill in 1985.

The church of St Etienne

The churches chancel dates back to the 11 and 12th century. The vault (cul-de-four) is embedded in a flat exterieur. The nave was rebuilt in 1862, and behind the vestry, is the tombstones of the family Caravas. According to the legend, Charles Perrault was inspired to write the tale ‘Puss in Boots’ including the famous Maquis of Carabas.

The Chapel of Our Lady of Mercy

This chapel lays witness to the ancient walled city, which was restored in the 17th and 19th century. It is still a place of prayer to God for the needs of others, through the Holy Apolline and Néomène.

St Martin's Chapel

The Chaplaincy and St Martin's Chapel gave shelter to pilgrims and the sick, including many lepers, outside the commune walls during the 12th and 14th century.(En)

Tourisme-Vihiersois

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Puncryyr Fg Znegva

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)