Skip to content


VS# No 15 Chenies

Hidden : 05/21/2013
2 out of 5
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!


How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

One of the Village Signs series .

The Village was known as Isenhampstead until the middle of the thirteenth century, taking the name of ‘Chenies’ from the ‘Cheyne’ family who occupied the Manor House until the 16th Century. The village was the original family seat of the ‘Russells’ from 1526 coming into the possession of John, first Earl of Bedford on his marriage to the daughter of Sir Guy Sapcote, until 1954. It was sold in 1954 to raise part of the death duties arising on the death of the twelfth Duke.
It is centred around a small green where is ample parking outside of school drop off and collection times.
There are several pubs for refreshment. There are quite a few caches in the area which could be sought as part of a circular walk taking in the River Chess which is a good example of a chalk stream.
Coordinates are given for the sign which features two prominent buildings.

The cache can be found at N51 40.ABC W 00 31.DEF
Adjacent to the green is the school , it has 18AE on one wall.
Take a short walk to the gate to the Manor House , the opening hours are F to B.
Find the bench dedicated to Peter Ensor 19G0 – 199H . D= G+H
On the opposite side of the nearest road from the bench, is a white house , find the number of the odd house and add the two numbers together to give you c
If anybody would like to expand this series please do. I would just ask that you let" Smokeypugs know first so they can keep track of the Village Sign numbers and names to avoid duplication.

Congratulations to Smokeypugs on FTF.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Onfr bs gerr. Rnfvre ng fbzr gvzrf bs lrne guna bguref. Cyrnfr ercynpr pnershyyl.

Decryption Key


(letter above equals below, and vice versa)