Parish church. Early C11. Chancel rebuilt mid C14. Tower of C13 or C14 raised with other alterations in C15. Restored with S porch added 1863-4 by Slater. Coursed flint rubble with Barnack stone and clunch dressings. Red brick repair. Some cement rendering. Tiled roofs. Small rectangular nave with narrower, shorter and lower chancel, W tower, S porch. Nave has original long and short quoins flush with walling at all 4 angles, splayed at base but not continued as a base-course except from W angles where a second higher splay also continues as a plinth onto tower. To N on nave a blocked doorway of C11 or early C12: crudely executed round arched surround, broadly roll moulded outer face to inner archivolt, clunch tympanum, continuous splayed abaci, inner shafted jambs with incised voluted capitals, square cut outer order. Flanking restored C15 2 light windows, rectilinear tracery in square heads with hollow moulded surrounds. C19 stone course projects to close eaves. Nave to S has 2 C19 windows copying those to N, C19 S porch has a pointed arch with shafted jambs, 2 stage diagonal buttresses, coped gable parapet, 2 light windows with square heads in returns. Inner entrance is a C14 pointed arch, double wave moulded, hood mould with foliate stops, to right a semi-octagonal stoup, an early plank door with iron strap hinges and lock plate. Chancel: cement rendered E end with a restored 5 light pointed arched window with reticulated tracery. 2 stage diagonal buttresses. Chancel N and S C14 2 light windows towards nave with foiled and cusped pointed heads, restored to N and remade to S in C19. Brick courses to sprocket eaves. Ridge crosses on E gables of chancel and nave. Gable end parapet on nave to W. Tower of 3 stages is unbuttressed and quoined. Raised plinth, string courses separate stages. To W are traces of a blocked doorway with a pointed arched head, above in lowerstage is a restored 2 light window as in chancel N and S walls. Louvred lancets in second stage to S and to all sides in belfry, chamfered brick and stone surrounds. Parapet is embattled to all sides but E with much red brick repair. Weathervane finial. Interior: C15 pointed tower arch, 2 chamfered orders dying into jambs. C19 chancel arch of 2 wave moulded orders, shafted responds. C19 roofs: 4 bays in nave with arched braces from short colonnettes on corbels, chancel has a ceiled 7 sided vault. At NE angle of nave are steps formerly to rood loft. In N jamb of tower arch a C14 recess with an outer ogee arch. Font has a C15 octagonal bowl with carved rosettes and shields on splayed lower faces, C20 square panelled stem. Early C17 communion table with bulbous turned legs. On SW wall of nave a lead memorial with a low relief allegorical figure, to T. Cherry, Church Warden, and W. Mowbray, Plumber, 1807. (East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, vol.2, part 3, 1904, p.261: RCHM 1910: VCH 1914: H.M. Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, 1965: Pevsner 1977).
This is a traditional cache and IS at the published coordinates.
The cache is a 2ml tube.