Skip to content

Dunethin Rock Fairies Traditional Cache

This cache has been archived.

tiddalik: I am regretfully archiving this cache since there's been no response from nor action by the cache owner within the time frame requested in the last reviewer note.

tiddalik
Community Volunteer Reviewer

More
Hidden : 7/7/2013
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
2 out of 5

Size: Size:   micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

The cache has been placed as part of our Dunethin Rock Rage Event. It is close to the junction of the Dunethin Rock Road (the road to Dunethin Rock) and Pearces Road (the road to Lake Dunethin and the Marooochy River Boat Ramp).

BYO writting implement as the fairies who reside in the area do not need them.

Please treat the area with respect as fairies are delicate creatures.


History tells us that in 1842, Andrew Petrie explored the coast north of Brisbane and discovered the Mary River with a small party including two Aboriginal men from the Brisbane River region who spoke the Yuggera language.  Their name for the local black swan was “Muru-kutchi” or “red-bill” from an Aboriginal expression describing the red bill of the Australian black swan. Petrie named the area Maroochy. The Maroochy River was navigable almost to Yandina, which was the district's principal place of settlement. Lake Dunethin and Dunethin Rock were a convenient place for loading and unloading from boats, and downstream from there the land was flood prone. Dunethin Rock or thereabouts was the site of the Maroochy River primary school (1911-72) and the school of arts hall (1914). The Maroochy River locality, however, was regarded as an outlying part of Yandina. Dunethin Rock was also a depot for sugar cane grown north of the river, until the Moreton central mill in Nambour extended the cane-train network with a bridge over the river in the 1930s. Since the closure of the Nambour mill, cane growers have gone into producing cow-candy fodder.

QLD Mega 2015 Banner

Additional Hints (No hints available.)