McArthur’s Store was first recorded in 1658 located on a spur of rock within the eastern harbour of Dunbar that had been established a few years earlier under Oliver Cromwell.
A major remodelling of the building occurred around 1738 after permission was received from the town council for the erection of the stone stair at the west end of the building. The building was doubled in width and raised to three stories with a double gabled pan-tiled roof. Around 1800 the building was strengthened by the installation of a system of vertical propping of the floors.
Within living memory the building has been used by local fishermen as stores and a place to make and mend fishing gear.
The restoration of McArthur’s Stores has been undertaken by Dunbar Harbour Trust to create 11 fishermen’s stores, an office for the Trust, and a meeting room that can be used by harbour users and the wider community. The overall cost of the restoration project was £1.2 million.
Take a seat, enjoy the view and imagine what has taken place at your feet.