Railway Tunnel
“The parish of Perran-ar-Worthal lies on the creek of the river Fal, and is about 1770 acres in extent, of which 10 are tidal. The name is derived from the post-Domesday manor of “Arwoethel”, and to be really accurate we should spell the name as Perran Arworthal , for it was so written (as two words) in the late 18th century, and is the decadent Cornish for “St Piran’s by the estuary or creek”. Within the bounds of the present parish lie two groups of houses, Perran-ar Worthal or Perranwharf, and Perranwell. The former stands on the banks of the creek where the Cosawes water meets the tide, while Perranwell is on the Trewedna stream that falls into Carnon creek.
Of the years before Domesday we know practically nothing [about the Parish], and Domesday itself gives no specific mention of Arworthal. Domesday mentions four manors: Trigel (Feock), Landighe (Kea), Tragol (Stithians) and Henesehoc (possibly Bissoe). But even though one or more of these may have covered what is now our parish, we cannot now give any definite bounds. Arworthal was not mentioned as such, and the first mention is 1187 when a manor of Harewithiel is shown. The Pipe Rolls of 1198 give Arwrthel, and the Feudal Aids (1284 -1431) Arwoethel. By 1337 it was Arwythel as seen in the Feet of Fines, and The Assise Rolls of 1301 give Arwordel and Arworthel.
The earliest record of our parish comes from the times of the Stone Age man. Near the station, between it and Carnon Viaduct, is a tumulus or Stone Age burial mound half destroyed by the builders of the railway when they made the cutting in 1863.”