Village Centre
“In 1691 Alexander Pendarves commissioned one Geo Withiell to survey his manor of Arworthal and map it entirely. This map still exists for it came to the Bassets and was given by them to the Truro Archives a few years ago. Only an examination of this map can give a true picture of its craftsmanship. It is about 4 ft by 2 ft, in colour, showing all the enclosures, moors, streams, leats, houses, etc, and other characteristics of the countryside. At the top is a large drawing of the arms of the Pendarves, and also a synopsis of the tenements contained in it, their acreage, and the tenants. The manor covers the land bounded by the ‘Island’, Cosawes Water, Pelean Cross, and the Trewedna stream. The land around Merry Meeting and North Tresamble is also a part, and there are two detached parts in Stithians, viz: Trewithen and Nanpeanwartha.
One outstanding fact is that the general layout of the village has not changed in 250 years. The 'Island', (for that was the spelling in 1691) is fully enclosed and Island Lane is almost identical with its present position. The main Church path runs as a fenced track to the second stile of today but does not continue direct to the village, a fact that is rather surprising. Incidentally, it was a through right of way in 1841. All the land within the quadrilateral Perranwell Bridge (then a ford), Tredrea entrance, Goonvrea entrance via the lane at the front of Penray, and Chyvogue Mill was open moorland with tracks across it corresponding to the present roads, e.g. School Hill etc. A track led to Chyvogue, where a stamping mill was set up, worked by water brought from Trewedna by a leat still to be seen. These stamps dealt with tin mined at Perran Downs cross roads. According to reliable information mining was carried on in that area in 1538 if not before.”